Can't uninstall ATI drivers ...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Valneo, May 29, 2013.

1. Valneo

Valneo Member

GPU:
    Switchable Graphics
    Hello all, I have a problem when uninstalling ATI graphic driver : I have a HP Laptop DV6 3150sf with a AMD chipset and a Radeon Mobility 5000 serie, I want to uninstall all component/stuff of Ati to install this driver : http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4444113&postcount=1
    (I'm actually running this one : http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=372799)
    But, when I try to uninstall with ATI Install Manager, when removing the ATI display driver -> black screen -> BSOD with "Can't reload display driver" YES STUPID COMPUTER, THAT'S WHAT I'M TRYING TO UNINSTALL.

Can you help me ? When this error come : I should restart in safe mode and restore the system, I've already tried to uninstall the driver in safe mode, but he says that he can't BECAUSE he is in safe mode, and he only installs vital stuff for Windows.

Thanks ! I'm French, sorry for the mistakes

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    You can also try entering Safe mode and Switching your driver to the WDDM 1.1 Driver or preferably the Microsoft Display driver. Then exit safe mode and switch to the modded driver and attempt to uninstall it through Device manager.

4. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
    Remember to clean your Registry for leftovers after using the above tool just in-case there are leftovers.

5. Valneo

Valneo Member

GPU:
    Switchable Graphics
    Ok i'm going to try imediatly the first link.
    EDIT1 : I've tried it, but BSOD again. I had the idea to switch to the chipset graphics, and it looks to Work : my screen blink ...
    EDIT2 : Jackpot ! Succefully uninstalled ! That was the good solution ! A clean registry with CCleaner and then install the new driver !

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  6. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380
  7. AmiloMan

AmiloMan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 270x 4GB
  8. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    ill ask it here
    when changing cards is it better to already have the latest driver installed previously with the old card before changing or de-install the driver then change card and then install new driver above the standard vga adapter(or which name it was i cant remember, in the device manager)?

so basically should the new card has "contact" with the standard vga driver or not

9. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    When installing a new card previous drivers must be uninstalled. After uninstalling the drivers I recommend setting the driver to the Basic Display driver then proceeding to shutdown your system and installing the graphic card.

10. AATT

AATT Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    ok thx, thats what i thought

my method i used is this:
    - express deinstall
    - restart directly into safe mode, checking the name of the card in device manager if its standard vga, cant remember the name correctly..
    (if its not, delete it + checking the extra box, in this case restart again or not?)

- running ccleaner and after that driver fusion and maybe old driver sweeper
    - starting into OS normally and installing new driver

11. dellon132

dellon132 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD 5570 1 GB DDR3
    Step One Express Uninstall without Restarting
    Step two Run Driver Sweeper/Driver Fusion
    Step Three Shut Down computer before System Restarts
    Step Four Install Graphic Card and proceed to installing the Driver.

12. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Hmm, depends on the os entirely.
    Installed win7 on a previous motherboard, had the 6970 with drivers, forgot to uninstall them when I inserted the 7970, it booted just fine without any error.
    Bricked my motherboard and installed everything on my current board, had to cleanup some minor things which are not present on this board, had to install some minor things for this board which weren't on the previous.
    In short, all without any problem.

But in all fairness, I have installed and uninstalled several beta drivers since, so my current driver install is as clean as it can get.

While it could differ from person to person, I use atiman uninstaller, then driversweeper (which is an aging tool now) then ccleaner and I'm good to go.

Have tried the amd uninstall utility for fun on my present board, figured I had to do a clean install anyways (which I didn't), worked fine for me also.

ps. Could be different for various videocards, but my present one allows me to update to the newest drivers without a problem. No uninstall at all.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013