Can't Set Fan Speed for my RX 580 after new driver install

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by DM789, May 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    ???
    after 22.5.2 driver install. the fan options is not activated. i can't set it at all. and no option to turn the fans on the setup.

i prefer setting it up on afterburner because. i like a constant fan speed.

and it's too much of a hassle to set it from the driver software itself.

edit : changed the driver to 22.5.1 and now i can set fan speed. is it the driver or is afterburner needs an update for newer driver than that?

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I have no such old legacy AMD GPUs in any of my test rigs now, sorry. The chances that I'll assemble new rig special for that are currenly close to zero due to reasons mentioned in this post, development is not a priority thing in my life now due to all crap happening around. So if AMD decided to break existing functionality - you have to live with that, sorry.

DM789 likes this.
  3. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    ???
    thank you for the reply.

and wow. rx 580 is now legacy card...

it is still a really good card...

i guess i can only hope it is just an issue with 22.5.2 and i hope next driver from AMD. won't have the same issue.

4. Unwinder

It is 5 years old architecutre (actually even older, considering that it was rebranded 480), the oldest AMD card I have in my development rigs now is 5700XT.

wtfisgoingon and DM789 like this.

5. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    ???
    yup. it is old. but not really rebranded 480. i once owned 480 too. before it died. 580 is more like improved 480.

5 years old. but AMD hasn't moved it to legacy driver... because 580 is still very good.

i do hope that it is just an issue of the driver.

i don't need the latest and greatest GPU. because i don't play those AAA games. but i can get a very playable FPS for the games i played. it's more than enough for me. and new mid class GPU are still very expensive.

i am still using 2600x and doesn't plan on upgrading.

i should have took SS of the issue. forgot to do it. before changing to 22.5.1. and before that i was using 22.4.2.

6. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    580 is not legacy wtf

RzrTrek and DM789 like this.
  7. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    ???
    i agree with you. but unwinder seems to think that 580 is a legacy card...

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Use wattman you can set the fan profiles there.

9. lowenz

lowenz Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 750Ti
    No way to go under 38%......

10. wtfisgoingon

wtfisgoingon Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080

11. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    Same. Fan control does not work as of 22.5.2 drivers. RX 590, 580, 570, and RX 6600 XT all affected, can't control fan anymore with MSI afterburner. I rolled back to 22.5.1, still can't control fan with MSI afterburner. I had to DDU all AMD drivers off the system, install 22.5.1, and I could get fan control back. PLEASE FIX!

12. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Who do you want to fix? Sounds like AMD driver issue. Bug them.

Andy_K likes this.
  13. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    HWInfo can still read fan speeds/%, and AMD adrenalin driver UI can set fan, but the UI sucks and can only set a fan curve and not a flat %. It takes a lot of clicks to get to the menu too. It's not optimum.

The means to read and set fan is still there. MSI Afterburner is not compatible with 22.5.2.

DM789 likes this.
  14. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    If you need an RX 580 to borrow in order to fix the issue, I'll borrow you one. Also do you have a patreon or something to support MSI afterburner updates? I'll pay for a fix that doesn't involve using a different program like "Fan Control" or using old drivers.

DM789 likes this.
  15. DM789

DM789 Master Guru

GPU:
    ???
    well... it's been more than a year after last update of afterburner. no idea why unwinder did not update it...

and yup. can't set flat % of fan speed. too much of a hassle to use the driver software.

16. Unwinder

Really, no damn idea why he didn’t update it.

“Currently I'm far from anything related to development. I live on RU/UA border, extremely close to Mariupol and things having place here leave no energy to code anything at the moment, sorry.”

Closed, sorry. You don’t seem to see anything but “I want it NOW”.

17. Unwinder

Found old PC with rusty Ellesmere (RX470) GPU in nearby area to peek inside the reasons, that's the only thing I can offer. AMD traditionally corrupted (intentionally removed?) fixed fan speed programming API (Overdrive 5 compatible fallback path) for old Overdrive 7 GCN GPUs in 22.5.2. Fan table/curve based speed contol is the only option left now for such cards with new drivers, fixed fan speed control is gone and can only be emulated by setting "flat" curve. You can also bypass it via MSI Afterburner config file by setting ODNToOD5FanControlFallback to 0, in this case it will also alter whole curve to emulate fixed fan speed programming instead of using dedicated API for setting fixed fan speed. A few notes related to such fixed fan speed control emulation:

- Curve based fan control has higher minimum fan speed limit, so you won't be able to set it as low as before with native fixed fan speed control implementaiton. Do not expect to be able to set fan speed below 25% now on Polaris (or even higher, min limit is defined by your VGA BIOS).
    - Curve based fan speed control is decoupled from zero RPM mode, it doesn't disable zero RPM/fan stop automatically like the previous dedicated fixed fan speed control implementation. So it can be both pro and con depending on your attitude to zero RPM mode.
    - And like it or dislike it, but days of focusing development or even performing compatibility testing on Polaris GPUs are in the past. It is a deprecated hardware now, it is not installed in any modern development PCs. So while things implemented for it work it's fine, but if AMD decide to "improve" somthing and traditionally break old, stable and working APIs - nobody will bother to build a rig with such outdated hardware to investigate it. It is up to GPU vendor to think about backward compatibility when making such API changes.

18. Unwinder

And a few notes for those who read misinformative comments (sadly left by our @waltc3) on this issue in other places:

"Seriously, it's not up to AMD to be sure and support third-party software written to control its hardware. That isn't the way it works. AMD makes the hardware, AMD writes the drivers; it is 100% up to the third-parties to make sure that their software works with the latest AMD bios and driver revisions for those products. I feel certain they'll either catch up with AMD or fall away."

That is the way it works. And yes, it is absolutely up to AMD, NVIDIA or Intel to ensure that they don't break their previously working API. If you have no understanding of basic API backward compatibility concepts and have no any software development experience and big team work experience, no need to comment such things. AMD provides official API for controlling their hardware. The same apply to NVIDIA and other hardware vendors. Official vendor's API is definitively right thing and correct way to go, I still remember GPU scene20 years ago with no NVAPI and ADL at all, when all third party software vendors provided low-level GPU control via own drivers.
    But official API versioning and backward compatibility is the most critical thing to keep in mind when you're designing and maintaining the API and other software products depend on it.
    NVIDIA puts a lot efforts in NVAPI backward compatibility. If you designed some NVAPI based software decade ago, you may still be sure that it works even NOW. EVGA Precision 4.2.1 created about a decade ago still works with hardware it supports, thanks to backward compatibility. When you add new functionality to API, you provide new function/structure version and pay extreme attention that you don't break functionality for function you're about to impove. You extend functionality and add new implementation instead of constantly killing the previous implementation and trying to reinvent the bycicle. Microsoft also puts a lot efforts into backwad compatibility as well, Win32 API still has many WORKING functions provided special for Win3.1 (!!!) applications compatibility, there is wow64 and other compatibility layers aimed to allow you to launch old applications. Virtually any other software vendor working on API design understand that. I provide API in RTSS to allow third party applications like AIDA, HwInfo or CapFrameX to render their custom overlays. The very virst implementation introduced back in 2005 is STILL compatible with currently existing software, I work on backward compatibility because if I change implementation each time, it will be just damn disrespectful to third parties who rely on my first API implementation. I cannot say them "I changed something, ups.... rewrite RTSS support in your products from scratch again and again" because they will just eventually stop doing that. And any, absolutely ANY software vendor understands the importance of working on backward compatibility. I don't see any single reason why AMD is so special and should not care about their API comability at all, like they do now. For example, try to find at least ONE third party software product targeted at AMD hardware and created at least 5 years ago, which STILL works without updates. You won't find any, because AMD ****** their API countless times since then. And countless count of third party products sadly just stopped focusing development on AMD hardware because of that.

ZeroStrat, GoldenTiger and Astyanax like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.