1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't run old HalfLife/ Opposing Force on new rig

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by KevKiev, Feb 20, 2008.

1. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Just got my new rig up and running today, on Vista 64x with 4MB RAM (2x ATI 3870X2's with 1GB RAM each). I installed my old CDs for the original Half Life, and Opposing Force (looked like some patches/updates kicked in on the Opposing Force install), but when I try to run either one I get the message: "Your system reported only 1728.00K of physical memory. Half Life requires at least 16MB" and then I get punted. (No way can memory capacity be an issue!.... ?)

Damm!! :cry:I haven't played either game in years and was really lookin' forward to it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Kev

EDIT: oops, 4GB of RAM

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. Norvekh

Norvekh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    I know HL and OpFor work fine in Vista 64 with 4GB of RAM under Steam (I was playing them earlier today). Older applications like that can't read 64-bit memory addresses correctly so they detect it as some odd, sometimes even negative, number. I don't remember what I was trying to run the other day, but it detected my system memory as being -16MB. My suggestion would be to register the keys with Steam (you can still use them without Steam on other computers if you wanted) and to try playing them through that as I know it works fine that way.

You might also try compatiblity modes before that. I would suggest trying to run them in XP compatibility mode or possibly Windows 2000.

3. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    There was most likely an update provided through Steam that gets rid of this issue. As Norvekh said just register the key with Steam and problem solved.

4. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Well that was sweet advice!! Registered my decade-old HL at Steam and next thing I knew I also got Opposing Force and a half dozen other HL titles I guess are from the years up to the HL2-era.

Not sure which opening scene I like better, the disastrous lab blunder in the original HL or flyin'/ gettin' shot down over the desert in OF.

Anyway, thanks very much!

:cheers:

5. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX580 8GB \ GT1030
    That's what you get when only having 4MB's of ram. I still have some 4MB's of EDO ram laying around, so that you can play Doom 1 without stuttering. ;)

But you should register all your HL1/2 based games via Steam. It's the only to make them work. I think your CD's are Pre-Steam releases. ;)

EDIT: I see you already registered them. Good show. :D

6. Marduk-

Marduk- Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 8800GT @ 680/1800
    Yep I tried to play them a while ago and got the same thing. I just uninstalled them couldn't be bothered.

7. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    I guess you put in your Half-Life CD key in Steam and got all the other games like TF Classic and Day of Defeat free? Good stuff , I did the same, works better through Steam.

8. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Yeah, it was like an early (late?) Christmas. That Steam's a pretty slick operation 4sure.

Hmmn... since I didn't need to register my (9-yr old) Opposing Force CD... I wonder if I could return it and get my money back! :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  9. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Bonus on steam is the addition of widescreen support for all the Goldsource games, couldn't force sierra versions to run in widescreen even with config modifications, etc, seemed to be a limitation of the engine.

Annoying thing though, the steam versions don't seem to have incorporated the sierra patches, so you'll notice some of the release bugs that shipped with HL/BS/OF, such as jumping character models in a moving environment (elevator in BS is a good example). Also the Opposing Force Counter-Strike style box-loading screen that blanks the whole screen for a few seconds is just plain cheap coding/porting to steam.

Blue shift elevator sequence gets my vote. :D

10. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Just went through the elevator scene - very cool. (I had a feeling those 2 snooty, and yeah jumpy, scientists were in for some disintegration!)

This Blue Shift looks pretty excellent so far.....

11. oks10

oks10 New Member

GPU:
    nvidia GeForce 9200M GS
    I have the same problem, however, I got the game from a friend and the key is already in use. Are there any other ways of fixing it besides using Steam? Is there a patch or something I can download?