Can't remove game in control panel

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Syobon3, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Syobon3

Syobon3 Member

GPU:
    555m
    using last 301.42-notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe
    In the 'Manage 3D settings' of the Nvidia control panel you can add apps/games to give them custom settings. But many times when you add an exe file for a game it will identify it as the wrong game. I have a couple entries like that and I'd like to remove them, but the remove button is not available. In fact it's greyed out for everything in there, so how are you supposed to remove anything?

help

2. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    download and use a program called NVIDIA Inspector. Its profile manager is much more powerful than the driver's control panel

3. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    You can remove them with Nvidia Inpector but i think that deletes the profife from the driver as well, or you can go here, [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak\NvCplAppNamesStored] and delete them, you will have to restart your computer though.:)

turina3 likes this.
  4. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    I don't think there is any need to delete profiles. Just add or correct the executables, or restore the profile to default and create a new one.

You are not really supposed to delete predefined profiles, which is why the option is greyed out in the first place.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012

5. Syobon3

Syobon3 Member

GPU:
    555m
    it's weird, I have uninstalled the drivers, cleaned the registry and the old programs still there in the list, and I can't restore it to default...

6. Syobon3

Syobon3 Member

GPU:
    555m
    thanks, i found this program very handy

7. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    You're welcome. Most of us here use that program.

The nVidia control panel scans your computer for shortcuts, and if you have any still lingering around it may even detect some games that are no longer installed.

If you perform a custom clean install of the driver it is supposed to reset all profiles back to default state. With Inspector you can simply press the restore defaults button while holding down the control key to accomplish this.

8. turina3

turina3 Guest

GPU:
    evga gtx 1080 sc
    Thank you very much, very useful

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    EDIT

Next time i should read before posting :D

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Bradders684
    same if you would go thru NV panel itself. remove is remove ;-)

@Syobon3
    i recommend using DDU cleaner after uninstalling nv driver and all nv software.
    make sure to boot to safe mode, and check settings. clean and reboot.
    when installing the driver, check the box "clean install"