Can't Install Drivers on XFX Card

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by nt020, Nov 1, 2007.

1. nt020

nt020 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7900GS
    Hi,

I have recently installed a new XFX 7900GS graphics card and installed the latest driver from the nvidia site just to get started. I then took a look around the forums and discovered that the Forceware 92.91 seemed to be the agreed best fit for the card. I tried install those an got the message along the lines of "could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware".

This had not happened previously (I use Driver Cleaner) and tried another version...then another...and another...and just kept getting the same message. Again I looked around and found that some changes to the .inf file can be made to include additional cards. But looking through the file, I can see my card model is present. Then I realised that when the computer starts up, the bios doesn't show the standard 7900GS name but some XFX branded version: "XFX C834 7900GS VGA BIOS". So I assume this is why I'm having problems with standard drivers.

I guess my question is (in a roundabout way) how do I get over this? Do I need to flash the bios? Will that validate the warranty?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    bios name doesn't matter, i've had plenty of xfx cards and had 0 problems with drivers and i doubt xfx would release a card where you cannot install drivers to start with.

i recommend getting the latest drivers off xfx website and if they install properly then something is probably screwed up in windows.

3. nt020

nt020 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7900GS
    I'll try drivers from the XFX site. But if the problem is not with the bios name, then why can't I install any other drivers on the card. I've had an XFX card before and have never had to download drivers from their site, so what could the problem be with this card?

4. nt020

nt020 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7900GS
    The drivers on the XFX site are the latest ones which I already have. I though that they would have an archive of drivers but it seems not. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem could be?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007

5. nt020

nt020 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7900GS
    I have managed to install other drivers manually, but this is not ideal. For one thing the the card shows up as "GeForce (Unknown)" in display properties.

Has anybody else come across this issue before?

6. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    hmm do you have a TiVo or DVB card in your pc? (for capturing videos from tv)

7. lohoutlaw

lohoutlaw Active Member

GPU:
    2 X 8800GTS 640Mb in SLI
    What OS are you using?
    Can you direct me to were getting these drivers with a link?

Also check to make sure your card is on the supported card list.
    A friend of mine had the same problem a while back ago "could not find compatible hardware or card" and it turned out his card was not supported.

So he had to find another set for his card that was supported.

8. nt020

nt020 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7900GS
    I am using Windows XP (SP2) and have checked the nv4_disp.inf file for the 7900 GS and it is there so I know the card is supported. This is why I was worried about the name that shows up in the graphics card bios not being standard.

I have tried numerous drivers which I have downloaded from either Guru3D or nividia's website.

And I have neither a TiVo or a DVB card in my machine.

9. nt020

nt020 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 7900GS
    I have read on other forums that the AGP version of the card is not supported with a number of drivers. Is this correct? Why would the PCI express version be supported and not AGP?