1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant Install Drivers "Normally" After Fall Creators Update

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Catalyst Drivers Section' started by Jitter1127, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Jitter1127

Jitter1127 New Member

GPU:
    R9 270x
    I am getting really frustrated with installing drivers. I have installed drivers countless times without issues until the windows fall creators update hit. Now the install hangs on "installing display driver" and I eventually get the 1603 error. I have tried every fix I could find on the net including:

DDU
    Disabling Bit Defender (I have no other anti-virus / firewall)
    Disabling internet
    Group Policy edits
    Registry edits
    DISM command
    SFC command
    Reinstalling C++ files
    Making sure "my docs", "pictures", etc etc were in default locations

I am at a total loss. I did find a work around, but it is annoying. I have to:

Uninstall ATI Stuff
    Boot into safe mode
    Run DDU
    Extract the ATI driver package
    Install New Driver Through Device Manager
    Reboot
    Run ATI Setup Program
    After I do this I still get the 1603 "partially installed" error, but everything is showing as installed and working correctly.

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I should mention I have an R9 270x.

Thanks

2. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Master Guru

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    use 18.5.1

3. Jitter1127

Jitter1127 New Member

GPU:
    R9 270x
    You mean use 18.5.1 and then upgrade from them?

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz

5. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    Try uninstalling all of the Visual Redist you have currently installed and try installing the drivers again (latest or not)

DO NOT reinstall them manually again until you install the drivers.

6. LIGuitar77

LIGuitar77 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 7790 2GB OC
    For this and similar issues, you have to manually delete all instances in the repository and .inf folder, of the AMD driver. I would suggest to do the same for all AMD HD Audio instances, as well.

You will have to Take Ownership first or use Unlocker to delete. Take note of dates of folder(s) being deleted. You can easily find the OEM inf/pnf using that info, next, to delete.

When done, reboot and install the driver normally (if you uninstalled that as well. If you already have it installed well, sit tight and wait for new driver to test install ability.)

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository

AMD folders usually begin with C7 and ATIHD, so look for them to delete.

Then C:\Windows\inf to find the files (by date) that correlate to what you deleted already... and rid these too.