Cant get SLI to work on two GTX460's, different Brands

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by deanryan, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    In my case I had to install an older Realtek driver from 2010, just disabling it didn't fix the problem. Try an older driver for your NIC.

2. deanryan

deanryan Member

GPU:
    MSI & Zotac GTX460 768mb
    Yeah ive already tried this, 3 or 4 versions going back over the last year. And ive just tried 2010 Realtek LAN drivers as well. Still no luck.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    And you'd be wrong....

The SLI "connector" isn't required for SLI to work.

Unless nVidia made a "round-about"....the SLI Bridge isn't actually needed for SLI, as per nVidia.

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Actually your half right, on older boards you could do SLI without a bridge. But on today boards you do need the SLI bridge to even use SLI. I know because I tried to use both my GTX 460 1GBs without a bridge and it didn't work. So I kept my other GTX 460's in til the bridge I ordred came.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Seems some users could enable SLI without the bridge, and some couldn't.

One poster on the nVidia forums says he could up until the 260 drivers. A poster on [H] also said he could....both using GTX460's btw...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=190366
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1543845

nVidia has also removed the "software SLI" section from their FAQ page, so...it's possible nVidia decided to force use of the SLI bridge finally.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    sli was availible when I tested 2 7800gt years ago. there was a performance hit but it work. I dont think sli without a sli bridge can work anymore. be it the hardware changed and or newer drivers wont allow it. idk. but the 7800gt experiment was simply forgetting to put on the bridge on my part. Ithink 2 460`s not being able to sli is a sli bridge problem imo

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    My 8600GT's worked in SLI with no bridge. A poster on the nVidia forums stated that he could enable SLI without a bridge until the 260 drivers.

If the bridge is now required, unless he's tested with another bridge, I'd tend to agree that it's at least possible.

8. deanryan

deanryan Member

GPU:
    MSI & Zotac GTX460 768mb
    My new SLI bridge came today. But it makes no difference. And same with the new nvdia drivers. I really cant think of anything else to try, so i think im going to sell the Zotac card and buy another MSI one from ebay.

9. deanryan

deanryan Member

GPU:
    MSI & Zotac GTX460 768mb
    Update!.

I have managed to get it to work now actually, with the DifferentSLI hack here,

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158907

So it must be that the official drivers see my cards differently, even though they are the same apart from the brand and default clock speed. At least i know my motherboard is okay!.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  10. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    you are sir are right. i have ran with and without the bridge and they work fine.

i also run 2 different brands, and they also have diffrent clocks, one's 800/1600/4000 and the other is 810/1620/4000. sli in my case works great, never had an issue ...?

11. Darkje

Darkje Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX660ti DCII
    yeah it's fine without the bridge, but the driver will warn that it should be connected, a bubble will appear once you boot with the new driver, and the panel will also warn, http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=163561 (post 7)

I've got sli with 2 different gtx285's (evga&msi) and tried this, on my rig there is like 5-10% difference between 3dmarks with or without the connector. So even if it where broken, it should work.