Can't force anti-aliasing for Medal of Honor: Airborne. Why?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by mzso, May 5, 2021.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT GamingX
    VSR = Virtual Super Resolution should be available under Global Display settings with all graphics cards and monitors.

You can change language from Preferences I think, I switched to English too.

Also if you use ReShade inject SMAA, FXAA or both, with highest settings in configuration.
    That will erase jaggies but blur the image so use sharpening as well.

Though like said VSR at 4K or above is supersampling - unless your native is 4K - so should erase jaggies the best.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  2. mzso

mzso Active Member

GPU:
    DUAL-RX580-O4G
    I don't get it. I can't even find one reference of anyone having this issue.

3. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    What monitor do you have?

4. mzso

mzso Active Member

GPU:
    DUAL-RX580-O4G
    I have no such thing: upload_2021-5-30_15-46-49.png

I tried all other options, including reshade, but neither fully worked, as shown on my previous comment. (The most glaring aliasing of the light hitting edges always remains.)
    Is the the light some clunky aliased after effect that all algorithms miss?

As for VSR. I'm not sure how much good that would even do, if it was present. My display is at UHD and I doubt my card would handle 7680*4320.

I would have given up on aliasing but, the unusable vibrating iron sights breaks gameplay and me playing. So I need to fix at least that.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    You are trying to force something that was never included within the original game to begin with.

This is an old game now, its not going to look great or support the latest features such as AA.

Also the screenshot you included in your post is nothing to do with AA, this is the games over use of motion blur and them using a very bad and now very old technique of motion blur. Disabling it is near impossible from what I can remember. But the game uses UE3 so checking the games config files might help but I am sure I tried this when the game came out and found it impossible to fix. This was also present on the console versions too.

Also VSR should be supported by your GPU
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-010

Do you have the latest drivers installed? Grab them HERE

Here is where VSR should be
    image_2021-05-30_155406.png
    VSR should be the best possible option for getting rid of jaggies, and it would probably do a better job than AA would do.
    Maybe also try Radeon Image Sharpening and see if this helps.

Also check out the games wiki for help fixing issues
    https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Medal_of_Honor:_Airborne

If things like reshade, sweetfx, or forcing AA is not working make sure you have the correct version of these for the game as some newer versions might have dropped support. Or you could try and force the game to use DXVK, simple drop the files where the .EXE is and load it up then check with RTSS overlay and you should see the game now using Vulkun API instead of DX9. This could allow you to force AA or get sweetfx/reshade working better.

DXVK HERE

Just remember this is an old game so tinkering is basically almost always required as older games like I have said wont support newer features like AA, FOV sliders, and some games won't even support widescreen resolutions. But this is part of the fun of PC gaming, you can most of the time find a fix for older games and bring them back to life or add in crazy mods or graphical effects.

Repo Man likes this.
  6. mzso

mzso Active Member

GPU:
    DUAL-RX580-O4G
    However there's no VSR option and there never was. The driver version is rather recent 21.3.1.
    It seems like the flickering issue was caused by the config from that very website. Namely the FOV changes in MOHAWeapon.ini.

The programs themselves seem to work, but refuse to catch those jagged light fringes, I tried to show in the previous screenshot. It seems like they're unable to.
    Well, AA itself is as old as computer graphics.

7. mzso

mzso Active Member

GPU:
    DUAL-RX580-O4G
    I have an UHD TV.

8. Cronik

Cronik Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Because you can't get perfect anti-aliasing using third-party tools? That's stupid.

Also the game does work properly. You're playing an old UE3 game from 2007(14 years old). I forgot the words buts it's gonna look like crap and imperfect compared to newer games. Especially games that came out in the last 8 years. To better explain it, in 2005 there was a lot of clipping. Especially multiplayer games like Battlefield 2 if you were to go prone up against a fence your legs would "clip" through the fence as if you were a ghost or something. Developers have done a lot to reduce it using better techniques and better engines. CoD4 is one of the early games that wouldn't let you move while you were prone if you were up against a wall.

Last edited: May 31, 2021
    CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    I would perform a clean install of your drivers if you haven't already. Using DDU and installing the latest ones. VSR should be there I've seen videos on youtube with people using it with R9 390's let alone a 580 like yours.

Whilst this is somewhat true, it doesn't mean all games will support it.

10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    Rename the game's exe to biahh.exe
    and apply AA via the AMD control panel. (Add a new profile with the renamed exe)