can't decide on phones..

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Funkgab, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150
    well i'm really not interested in touch screens, and i've been an avid blackberry user... i'm on blackberry #17 or so.. yup lots of money..

and i'm kind of clumsy so i'm afraid of breaking my touchscreen phones..

but its come down to this..

google/droid phones - i'm only interested in the new samsung with the flexible oled thing
    blackberry q10 - not really a fan of the new design, but its fast and has a keyboard but no apps
    iphone5 - not the 5c, or the 5s, i think the 5 is the perfect one, except the stupid thunderbolt connector cause now i cant connect it to things like my headunit
    nokia - it doesn't look bad, it doesn't look great, cool camera, but i'm not really a fan of windows 8, but its a phone so hmmm

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Go for iPhone 5. As an s4 user I can recommend that. Because it is easy to use handle. And many apps.

Used 5 since it is out. Never failed me. Why s4 now? Because I'm spoiled bigtime lol.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    WP is great if you need a phone for business use
    Q10 is great if you want a keyboard, but don't need a large selection of apps
    iPhone5 is great if you need a phone that "just works" and aren't concerned with customizations
    Android is great if you want to customize the phone to suit you....and want plenty of apps to choose from

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    With the iPhone 5 u can get an adapter off Amazon for like 10$

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Windows phones deserve a lot more credit than they are given. Sure they don't have the market share and they don't have as many apps but the OS is great. I used it for two years and the only reason I went to an S4 is because Verizon refused to let me keep my unlimited data plan and Sprint didn't have any WP8 phones I liked.

6. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150
    yes but it doesn't mean my other devices are compatible with it, if it doesn't send data..

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'd back the Q10, honestly it's a great phone.

deltatux

8. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    I don't understand why you have an interest in the Samsung Round. It's just a device with a slight curve to it. The "flexible display" is not taken advantage of other than the fact that the device has that slight curve. The device itself is not flexible at all. It's too bad you aren't and Android fan because you could wait for the Nexus 5 to come out. It will essentially be the LG G2, just at a much more affordable price (like $300 or so off contract). You get the stock Android experience, you can unlock the bootloader, root it and flash whatever rom/kernel you want. There are even toolkits out there that will unlock/root your phone for you.

If you don't understand or don't care about anything I just said, buy an iPhone.

9. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You can use a 3.5mm audio lead in the headphone socket (like you would on all the other phones).

10. Funkgab

Funkgab Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 @ 850/1150
    hmm i thought it was a flexible oled, thats what i heard, honestly i don't mind the android, but lots of people who went from iphone say that the iphone is more refined.. all in all both are about the same to me..

is it true that some androids have a pseudo-keyboard surface?

well i like to charge and control with my headunit, but i guess thats an option where i can just leave the iphone in there with music, and have a 12v cigg charger... or just get a whole new head unit and just do everything with bluetooth

11. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    Can i ask my question here too? I am looking for a phone, and thinking on blackberry or smartphones, where all i dumb person understand, BB is way overpriced at least for my wallet, and i hate no phones with no keys.
    And i dont care about crap like, slightly heavier, slightly bigger or slimmer or whatever they offer..

What basically i want is a comfortable phone where i can get no lag in typing and new modern apps, full browser, and a screen where no app "stupid" icons are on it. Just empty picture with clock(and battery..etc)

All those reviews are so confusing one can get a headache.. So am i wishing too much? Please advice me, im lost among exact same phones..

12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    There is the LG Flex now, but again, the device isn't flexible. If you are worried about dropping it, that's probably the device I'd get. Seems like its pretty durable, although I'd assume the front is still made of glass and could still fracture.

I'm not sure what you mean by pseudo-keyboard surface. Android 4.3 brought along an onscreen keyboard that allowed swiping gestures. Android 4.4 improved on that, and now I never type on my phone in landscape mode anymore (used to all the time). I find it relatively easy to type on as long as it can understand a word if you mis-spell it. I had a hell of a time trying to get it to figure out "relevant" today, haha.

13. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Nexus 5. Android allows you to hide any icon you don't want to see on your launcher. There are so many features that android has over iOS, that I won't even bother going in to it. Why do I say Nexus 5? You're getting LG G2 hardware (sans 13MP camera, 3000mAh battery, and .2" of screen) for $350 usd off contract.

14. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Insure the device?

15. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    seriously man? You answered it so simply that i cant believe in this solution. Gonna run browse when that nexus 5 gonna be released.. of course the price must be not 350usd but like 500eu in my country... for comparison samsung galaxy s4 is like 500eu atm..

edited: if google nexus 5 = LG nexus 5 then its 600usd pricetag in my country. Kind of, stupidly overpriced :(

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

16. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Well, if you want a phone that will fit what you just said, you're gonna have to get android. You can't hide icons on iOS. I've never bothered with blackberry or winphone8 because they aren't relevant. I suppose you should look for an android phone that suits your budget.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im also thinking about few phones

-Nokia 925 (16gb), can get extra cloud space 25gb + windows 7gb skydrive
    -Nexus 5 (16gb), same extra space 25Gb
    -S4 mini, maaaybe normal S4 LTE but its extra 220€, by both also extra cloud space
    -S4 Active is ~ 170€ then S4 mini, also a possibility

From what I saw Nexus can be a bit so so by battery, that Nokia 925 beats it, Samsung S4LTE beats both by web and video watching (2-3hrs) - saw reviews for each phone @ gsmarena, but yeah more €€€.

Any thoughts? :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Android is the only mobile OS that will do everything you want. Blackberry requires all app shortcuts be on screen.

Windows Phone will allow you to move them all off the main screen, but that just leaves you with a blank, colorful background.

iOS. like Blackberry, uses the home screen for app icons, but like Android, you can move them off of the main screen (but only to one of the secondary screens)

Blackberry is the only one that gives you a "full browser" by default. Android and iOS lack native flash support.

The Blackberry on-screen keyboard sucks imho....

Moto G retails for $180 (8GB) or $200 (16GB) in the US, check Motorola.com for pricing/availability in your country. Moto X starts at $350 in the US, again, check Motorola.com for pricing/availability in your country. Neither are high-end phones but are priced respectably....at least in the US.

19. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    hey thanks sykozis.. i also have read the pathnotes on android os versions, but they feel trivial for me, they feel like non essential. Or am i perceiving it wrong? I dont care on wave your have to the phone features.. since my old phone samsung e200 was pretty cool in any way possible, i do not wish to feel any lag from the phone ever.. it would be shocking to encounter laginess and unresponsivness from new phone.. 1gb ram phone should be okay, or is there any hidden benefit from newer android versions?

Why i ask, well because i seem to find some older phones getting better ratings than some new ones(maybe rebadged and downgraded phones just like some video cards..) ?

-Tj- i saw somewhere someone saying nexus 5 doesnt have standard SMS usability, its some kind of annoyance that google is pushing towards the users. I would consider that phone nr1 contestant, it costs twice as much as in usa...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  20. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    get an intel smartwatch ! it will be android and nothing added so you ll get update same time as google product !I hear they plan to put the z3770 in the smartwatch . almost no port aside from a thunderbolt port(rofl)cant wait for intel to release that !