1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't change overclock profile later on

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by desertjedi, Nov 17, 2008.

1. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    I've been using RT for years. Now, I have a GTX 260 with a 179 series driver and RT 2.10.

I have overclock and fan profiles that kick in (and out) when I start (exit) a game based on the D3D "acceleration flag". All works amazingly well.

My problem is that months later I go back to modify my single overclock profile and the settings will not stick. Not only will they not stick, the profile gets reverted to default clocks. I then tried creating a new oc profile and updated my launchers (or whatever needs changing) and all I get are default clocks.

It appears that I can no longer save a profile with non-default clocks. I change the clocks, hit the Apply button and re-save the profile or create a new one. Sometimes when I leave that panel, you can actually see the clocks change back to defaults right before the screen draws the main panel.

I uninstalled(completely) and then reinstalled RT 2.10. No effect. I then uninstalled completely and installed RT 2.11. No effect. I then uninstalled and went through the registry and deleted every entry with the word RivaTuner and Unwinder in it. I then installed 2.10 again and everything was working fine again.

Any ideas about what's going on?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

You do understand that there are separate 2D/3D clocks for GTX 200 series and that the profile includes both 2D and 3D clocks, right?

3. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    Well I seem to have figured out the problem. It has to do with linking the core clock to the shader clock. I can not set any overclock until I make sure that the core and shader clocks are linked. Once they are linked I can do whatever I want and I'm pretty sure it will all work.

If I untick the link between the two clocks, I seem to be able to change the clocks for a few tries but then the clocks get frozen and will not change and I have to link the clocks again.

I don't remember this being a problem in the past. Must I have the two clocks linked? If I do, I doubt I'll be able to overclock as high.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Hardware specifics of G8x/G9x/GT2xx clock frequency gnerator require shader/core clock ratio to be greater or equal to 2. If you are trying to get the ratio out of range - it won't work.

5. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    Thanks for clarifying that. That would seem to explain the behavior I was experiencing.