Can't change overclock profile later on

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by desertjedi, Nov 17, 2008.

1. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    I've been using RT for years. Now, I have a GTX 260 with a 179 series driver and RT 2.10.

I have overclock and fan profiles that kick in (and out) when I start (exit) a game based on the D3D "acceleration flag". All works amazingly well.

My problem is that months later I go back to modify my single overclock profile and the settings will not stick. Not only will they not stick, the profile gets reverted to default clocks. I then tried creating a new oc profile and updated my launchers (or whatever needs changing) and all I get are default clocks.

It appears that I can no longer save a profile with non-default clocks. I change the clocks, hit the Apply button and re-save the profile or create a new one. Sometimes when I leave that panel, you can actually see the clocks change back to defaults right before the screen draws the main panel.

I uninstalled(completely) and then reinstalled RT 2.10. No effect. I then uninstalled completely and installed RT 2.11. No effect. I then uninstalled and went through the registry and deleted every entry with the word RivaTuner and Unwinder in it. I then installed 2.10 again and everything was working fine again.

Any ideas about what's going on?

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

You do understand that there are separate 2D/3D clocks for GTX 200 series and that the profile includes both 2D and 3D clocks, right?

3. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    Well I seem to have figured out the problem. It has to do with linking the core clock to the shader clock. I can not set any overclock until I make sure that the core and shader clocks are linked. Once they are linked I can do whatever I want and I'm pretty sure it will all work.

If I untick the link between the two clocks, I seem to be able to change the clocks for a few tries but then the clocks get frozen and will not change and I have to link the clocks again.

I don't remember this being a problem in the past. Must I have the two clocks linked? If I do, I doubt I'll be able to overclock as high.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

Hardware specifics of G8x/G9x/GT2xx clock frequency gnerator require shader/core clock ratio to be greater or equal to 2. If you are trying to get the ratio out of range - it won't work.

5. desertjedi

desertjedi Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260
    Thanks for clarifying that. That would seem to explain the behavior I was experiencing.