Can't believe my 260gtx can't run crysis without overheating

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by R0achTheWarHero, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    55nm 260gtx 750/1511/2406
    I run my pc with no side panel on the case and a 120mm fan zip tied so it's suspended across the case where the panel would be blowing on the nvidia card + my northbridge.

I have a EVGA 260gtx SC. I flashed the card to the SSC bios (675mhz core). I can run 750/1500/2430 in 3dmark, furmark, and most games with no problem.

I try to do it in crysis and it crashes after 5 seconds. I set the card to default 675mhz core and memory speed, start crysis again, and it was playing fine then after about an hour it overheats and crashes. What is the f*ing deal with Crysis? o_O I can't believe I can run furmark for 30minutes straight with no problem but Crysis overheats and crashes the card after similar time.

Keep in mind the components of the 260gtx SC and 260gtx SSC are identical, ram type, core, and all. So I'm basically running a stock card here with no side panel on the PC and a fan blowing on the card and Crysis still overheats it at stock clocks yet it's stable at 750core in other games, wtf!!!

:peeright:

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Crashs ? like how freeze or BSOD ?

3. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    was it running ok before you flashed it?

4. Rancoor

Rancoor Banned

GPU:
    y...
    I reckon Crysis is the biggest GPU stress test ever made.

u say it overheats, but what are the exact temps???

u should never treat a high end card like that so casually.

5. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    if you think its overheating then then what are your temps? if they are going well over 70c then up the fan speed. i had to lower what i thought was a stable oc's because of crysis.

have you tried other drivers?

6. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Gonna answer this is quotes to make it easier.
    Quick recap, just because some things will run ok doesn't mean they all will, and just because something has the same components as yours doesn't mean yours can run the same speeds.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  7. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    The bios flash is a non-factor the card runs at 750mhz core in every other game with no problem. So no, it is not uncapable of running SSC since it runs way higher than SSC speeds in everything else.

Crysis is a pretty big stress test and I think this just shows how gimped the 55nm cooling is.

8. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    How can it be a non factor? the SC card is 625/2100 speeds and the SSC is 675/2300 speeds, as i said, just because furmark and some other games will run it doesn't mean a very intensive game like crysis will aswell.

IMO a good idea here would be to use EVGA Presision overclocker and setup profiles for games/benches, use your 750 settings for the games/benches it works on and the whatever settings crysis works on (personally i think it's your memory overclock crashing it as the core/shader would artifact first), it's quite handy like that (that's what i do).

But yeah that 55nm cooling is a little worse than the 65nm, have you tried adding a little more voltage via rivatuner to see if it gets more stable? i'm not sure how to do that BUT there is a thread about it somewere.

9. nightwalker342

nightwalker342 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC
    For you to say the flash doesn't matter is completely wrong in this case. Did you run Crysis at all before you flashed, or did you just stick the card in, flash it, and think you were good? Just because 2 cards use the same core, memory, parts, etc.. does not mean they are equal. Why do you think they charge more for OC versions, it's because they are the best cores and OC higher than most the other ones in the batches. Crysis is one of the biggest stress tests for any videocard, and it will show a faulty OC very quickly. You mention it is overheating and crashing, but what are your temps at? That would be the biggest help here.

10. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    could you go get a temp monitor?

sorry, but everyone has gone over every possible issue. please get something like rivatuner, or HWmonitor and show the idle/load temps.

if they are reasonable, then it is definitely your overclock.

EDIT: sorry, skimmed the topic. didnt notice that he said the same thing.

11. N00bst3r

N00bst3r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 OC
    +1

I used to think my 9600Gt's could run fine and stable at 1850 shaders as all games were fine....apart from crysis, which demands that i put my shaders to 1750 inorder to play with out artifacts. Yeah and saying that its the same parts so it doesn't matter is rather silly, thats like saying that because you have a 260 it will OC to the same as other versions which is not true. All OC'd versions of GPU's & CPU's are picked becuase they can run at those speeds, if they cant they get branded as the lower versions. I mean a Q6600 is the same chip as a QX6800 but the Q6600 might have been unstable enough to be branded as a QX6800 but is perfectly stable at Q6600 speeds. Understand?

12. R0achTheWarHero

R0achTheWarHero Banned

GPU:
    When it runs for one to one and a half hours before blue screening. It is 100% a heat problem.

It's just a pain in the ass to raise fan speed when every other game in existence is stable at much higher clockspeed.

13. MM10X

MM10X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    not true. for me, i can run furmark at 800c+ and it will be stable, while crysis will have no artifacts tell a ways in, then it will crash.

PLEASE get a temperature monitor before making assumptions.

its a free 1.5MB download.

14. N00bst3r

N00bst3r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 OC
    Just download a GPU temp monitoring program, no point telling us its "100% a heat problem" when you havent even checked or supplied temps for the GPU. Could well be that your PSU isn't working well enough, but we cant tell with out numbers.

15. nightwalker342

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC
    It really doesn't matter how long it runs before crashing, I can crank up my card to unstable speeds in crysis, and it will run perfectly fine for days, but crash within minutes of running crysis and no other programs. It's all in how much stress you're putting on your GPU. Believe me you're not the first person to run into this issue with crysis, MANY other people have the same issue. 3d mark vantage is a great program to check framerates and all, but it is not the greatest thing to use to really stress your GPU.

I know you really don't want to hear that your OC might not be stable, it can be a real pain to find that out especially when its onloy with 1 game, but chances are if it's happening in that one, it's going to happen more with newer games that are released that are high graphic content games, especially DX10 ones. Just remember not all hardware is created equal, and if it is a heat issue, OCing often requires you to change out stock coolers to keep a 100% stable environment. I'm willing to bet that if you flashed back to the original version on your card, it would run crysis without crashing. Did you even try just OCing your card with the original BIOS to the higher settings and running crysis before flashing it? That would be one sure way to tell if the card could even handle to OC.

16. nightwalker342

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 XC
    one other thing, you say its a pain to raise the fan speed for just the one game, what speed are you running the fan at? If you're OCing your card that far and keeping the fan turned down, then of course it's probably going to be a heat issue, that's a no brainer. OCing generates more heat, which requires better cooling, not the same cooling as stock.

17. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    wow

/facepalm.

Whats your temps dude?

And set riva tuner to turn your fan up on boot. or..... when you flashed your BIOS you should have set the minimum fan speed to 70%.

+1 Internets for u.

18. N00bst3r

N00bst3r Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 OC
    We've been trying to get that info all day :bang:... might as well be talking to a wall.

19. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I don't mean to sound rude, but you really shouldn't be flashing and OCing your card with what you believe you know about overclocking. Your going to end up damaging one of your components. Please, do more homework. And I'm not saying this to be an ass, I'm saying this because what your doing with such a skewed understanding of how overclocking works is detrimental to your computer.

There's any number of reasons why Crysis could be crashing. It could be heat, unstable vram clocks, unstable core clocks, a bad bios flash, and possibly drivers. If the issue was strictly heat, you would most probably find artifacts before the crash/bsod.

20. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 STRIX
    btw flashing the BIOS is stupid when Unwinders software works so well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.