Can't access Seagate 4TB External Drive

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by f14dude, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM.

1. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 SC 8GB
    HIya,

I purchased a 4TB USB3 external drive a few years back and mainly use it for backup of video and music. Recently I could not get it to bring up the drive in File Manager. The drive would spin up and USB connection beeped but nothing would show up... thinking the enclosure is bad so i pulled it out of the enclosure and plugged it into another machine using a hd dock with USB3 connection.

Still did not show up in File Explorer so I checked Disk Management and found it is stuck in a GPT Protected Partition and no real way to get the data out since I can't convert it back to MBR because it is over 2TB.

So I guess I will have to take the lost and kill the partition. But for future reference, should I try to partition a 4TB partition with GPT or split it up with 2 MBR partition instead? I remember having this issue a while back when I tried to take one drive from one machine and plug it to another machine and it is stuck in GPT protected.

Instead of using external HD for backup... I think I'm going to build a file server and load it up with HDs and use it to store my backup files.

Thanks for any advise.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Tried removing it from the enclosure and adding it as an Internal drive?

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'm not sure what caused this issue for you because when I searched for GPT protected partition, the information is in the context of older OS' like XP. Seems like it was corrupted somehow, maybe during accidental removal or dropped.

I would still choose to go for GPT to have a single partition. MBR iirc has a 2.2TB limit and the rest can be a separate partition. It shouldn't really matter in real life.

It would also be a good idea to read the SMART data of the drive. You can also do this via UEFI by plugging it into a SATA port.

4. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 SC 8GB
    Yeah, I'm going to plug it in my other machine tonight and see how it goes.

I'll check the UEFI and see if it has the ability to review the SMART data.

Thanks.