Can't access MS sites with either IE or FF

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Pill Monster, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hi here's a problem I haven't struck before - I cannot access any Microsoft sites with IE 7 or 8 or FF 3.03 or 3.04.

That includes Window Marketplace, MS Homepage, MS Download Centre - you name it.

I checked my hosts file and it's 127.0.0.1.

Any help appreciated. :)

2. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    They are all extremely slow for me, I'd say it may not just be you. But go OpenDNS in case.

3. alma

alma Master Guru

GPU:
    POV8800GT512MB/Dell U2410
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Thanks but I'm not using a shared connection and automatic configuration is turned off in windows. It's been like this for a couple of weeks now...

Also the MRU in my router is set to 1492. Any higher and I get packet fragmantation...

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    PPPoE then.

you may need to set your MTU in the registry manually, router mtu alone may not do the trick properly you need to tweak the TCPIP too.

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

download DRTCP, run it, find your network card, leave all options as they are and just change the MTU to 1492, reboot, done.

give it a try.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Thanks but I think I found the problem Windows Authentication? was turned off....

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    hmmm :3eyes::)

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I was thinking the same thing.....

9. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Did you just say that all those address's are pointed to 127.0.0.1 in your hosts file?

If so, that's a problem, because they aren't going anywhere but your computer.

Otherwise, can you ping those address's? Make sure DNS is translating, then try and visit the IP address and see if you get any further.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hi FW - yeah I can ping them no problem but can't access the website. At first I thought maybe it was a DNS issue, but when I change page view in FF to from basic style to no style I seem to be able to connect.

Do you know why this is?

One other thing - does enabling flow control in the NIC stop Rx overruns? Because when I raise my MRU too high in the router I get overruns even though flow control and UPnP is enabled.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008