Canon EOS 5D Mark III full review

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by robert1990, Apr 6, 2012.

1. robert1990

robert1990 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 iCoolerV750/1100
    For photography lovers here, I present you a full review of 5D Mark III (from Techradar.com):)

5D Mark III review

The performance of 5D Mark III is quiet similar with D4. It is noticeably better than 5D Mark II (as expected), even beats 1Ds Mark III in almost all comparison. It loses to D800 at low ISOs, but starting from ISO 3200++ it beats D800 in terms of signal-to-noise ratio and dynamic range.

Signal-to-noise comparison chart (JPEG)
    [​IMG]

Signal-to-noise comparison chart (RAW/TIFF)
    [​IMG]

Dynamic range comparison chart (JPEG)
    [​IMG]

Dynamic range comparison chart (RAW/TIFF)
    [​IMG]

And here's another comparison between 5D Mark III and D800, especially regarding video capabilities on both:
    http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2012/04/01/video-shootout-nikon-d800-vs-canon-5d-mkiii/

So, what do you think Gurus? :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    well from what i've seen so far D800 imo has become the king of landscape/portrait photography with the resolution/fine detail that its 35mps sensor is able to give, also particularly advantageous the higher dynamic range its able to give at lower iso is where it definitely beats the 5D3

but 5D3 imo is a camera that will keep just about everyone happy, with its noticeably faster fps and great AF system, better high iso performance (i took a few shots at 12800 with friend's 5D3 and just looking from the lcd screen on the back dang it looks good) and still being ahead in the video department makes it a much more versatile camera, not to mention not everyone wants or need to play with a 35mps raw file (which is supposedly like 70mb/file!) and one may argue the extra resolution that the D800 gives only matters to pixel peepers

so my conclusion is, both are daaaaammmmmmnnnnn fine cameras and in the right hands no one will be able to tell which picture is taken with which camera and unless certain aspects of either camera REALLY matter to the user, there's no point jumping ship, not to mention you need some top end glass which once again expensive to replace in order to see the brilliance of the 2 cameras

oh and i am a canon shooter

3. robert1990

robert1990 Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 iCoolerV750/1100
    Agree with this, both are excellent cameras, just need to suits ourselves regarding what we are going to use them on :)

4. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I shoot landscapes and I've used both D800 and 5D3. I didn't find more MP of D800 more advantageous over 5D3's "ridiculously small" 22.3 MP. At least in my work, I can still do full 100" panoramic prints at 300 DPI using 5D3, and just for viewing the shots on the PC or Internet, even 22.3 MP is overkill.

I like 5D3 better overall as my default "walk-around" camera.

5. AMDX1325

AMDX1325 Member

GPU:
    Diamond HD7970 3GB GDDR5
    5D3 is a joy to use, however it really needs to be paired with the best L glass to compliment. I converted from a Nikon D7000, a word of advice to Nikon user seeking to jump ship, 5D3 is great, ergonomics is so much better than Nikon, but Nikon pro glass is really better...can't have the best of both world can we...:biggun:

6. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    what made you make the jump? nikon's d800 is a pretty impressive camera in itself

7. AMDX1325

AMDX1325 Member

GPU:
    Diamond HD7970 3GB GDDR5
    Reasons:
    1) I had hoped D800 would be in stock so I got rid of D7000 a few weeks ago in anticipation. BUT at the time when I decided I'm ready to splurge around march, 5D3 was in stock while D800 wasn't.

2)All my friends and colleagues use Canon. Switching meant easier to find common grounds :p

3)While Nikon was good, in many aspect it is BETTER than Canon, the lack of availability on various camera models and lenses threw me off quite a bit, not to mention across the board price increase due to shortages.

4)I favor the faster FPS and low-light performance of 5D3 compared to the slower and noisier D800. Ideally I would've totally loved a 24MP fullframe with 5fps, which would've been a perfect compromise between 5D3 and D800, sadly no one makes something like that.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  8. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
  9. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    yea it's nice to shoot the same system as friends, makes learning easier, also being able to share gear as well, big reason why i chose to go Canon instead of Nikon in the first place

and also, imho while D800 wins out in resolution/DR front overall 5D3 is the more versatile camera, so it all depends on what you are after i guess

10. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    As the best "all arounder" 5DIII eats D800 for breakfast. Especially when it comes to shooting Concerts, low-light shows, birthdays and weddings.

But same could be said about D800 eating up 5DIII on still photography like Landscapes and studio work.

Either DSLR is next gen and is absolutely stunning.

11. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070S OC
    yea quite frankly if a person can't get a good shot with either camera well we all know what the problem is