Cannot update nor uninstall: Rivatuner statistics server is currently active

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by TexTwil, Mar 27, 2021.

1. TexTwil

TexTwil Guest

GPU:
    nvidia
    Hi,
    My RTSS is always restarting even if I close to program. This makes it impossible to uninstall or update it as the installer tells me "Rivatuner statistics server is currently active, uninstall process will be aborted"

- How can I exit the RTSS program without it automatically starting again?
    - Why can't the installer kill the process itself?

cheers

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you have to exit Afterburner.

3. TexTwil

TexTwil Guest

GPU:
    nvidia
    thanks!

cheers

4. Neil Blackadder

Neil Blackadder Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080Ti
    Similar question I managed to uninstall 7.3.1 so update to the 7.3.2 beta but now I cant uninstall either version as it thinks the program is still active despite it being uninstalled. just to add as well I don't use afterburner

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    reboot.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    7.3.2 beta 2 needed to avoid components cannot be hooked error on startup after new windows update.

7. Neil Blackadder

Neil Blackadder Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080Ti
    yeah i cant get it to install any version at all. tried safe mode and even a fresh windows install and still get the error that its already running when i try and install

8. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Where do you install it from? Do you happen to have the installer located in a folder called "RTSS" and have this folder open on your desktop? Installer detects running instance by searching for an active window with "RTSS" caption. If that's the case, renaming the folder should work.

Frankie_Cucumbah and BlindBison like this.
  9. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    you need to uninstall it, then do a reboot.
    only after that you can install new version.

10. Neil Blackadder

Neil Blackadder Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080Ti
    Thanks that worked I was trying to install it from the folder it downloaded in didn't think to move the installer onto the desktop to do it

BlindBison likes this.

11. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Is this still true? Normally I just close RTSS then install the new version into the same existing directory. It usually requires a reboot but seems to work/changes the version number and all that jazz. Should I be full uninstalling each time there's an update before installing the new version? Thinking on it iirc RTSS does give the option to hold onto your settings and such post uninstall so maybe that would be the better route (though maybe you'd need to back up your custom overlay). Thanks,

12. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    @BlindBison RTSS hooks are still running in the background and some files are in use until reboot. That's why the reboot is required. unwinder strongly recommends doing an uninstall (optionally keeping your config), then reboot and then install new version.
    Of course 9 out of 10 times it is ok to just install over an existing installation and do the required reboot at the end of installation process... and then there is this 1 out of 10 which have you run into problems and you don't even know what is going wrong.
    Therefor to be safe, do the uninstall first.

I do backup my custom overlays but did not have one update where I needed to restore them. These overlay layout files didn't get deleted once. Though I must say I always choose to keep my config, that's maybe why.

BlindBison likes this.
  13. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thank you very much that's great to know -- in that case I'll do the uninstall then i'll choose the option to retain my settings. Great to know, thanks!

14. superdziadek

superdziadek New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I haven't noticed anyone making a short & simple helpful answer so I made an account here to help others reading it:
    1. Close MSI Afterburner completely
    2. Then end all tasks with "RTSS" name in task manager
    3. run the installation and "ignore" when it prompts you about closing other bunch of programs.

Uninstall and Reboot is unnecessary / pointless, unless you also bother to turn off running Afterburner with Windows. This is the simplest way.
    (Writing this in the time of v7.3.6.28010)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  15. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

What's a weird day of weird and wrong info in different threads. No. Just no, never do what the poster above suggests. Abnormally terminating running apps with task manager = preventing them from shutting down properly, unloading hooks, uninstalling drivers etc. Uninstall and reboot when prompted is not pointless, ignoring that and thinking that you're smarter than installer is a direct way to problems which you introduce yourself. Reboot is only suggested when some file copy operations on currently locked files are pending to be performed after reboot. Attempt to ignore that = attempt to run application in mixed state while some of its components are not updated yet.