1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot repartition or do anything to a USB drive

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by AsiJu, Aug 1, 2019.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Hi,

I've never ran into this before but I simply cannot do anything to one of my USB stick drives.

Windows says it cannot format it so I tried to create a new partition using MiniTool Partition Wizard but while it says completed successfully, the drive immediately reverts to "Unallocated". I also cannot switch from MBR to GPT, same story, says completed but reverts.

Is the stick simply broken or what? Surface scan returns no errors and Windows recognizes the drive fine.

It used to be a W10 installation stick and I was gonna use it to create 1903 installation media but can't. It's also my only USB stick big enough for the installation media atm.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
  3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Thanks, I actually visited their site while Googling for solutions.

I managed to at least start formatting (FAT32) with diskpart in admin cmd. However even diskpart refused to either delete or create a new partition.

Now 67 % formatted, I'll see what happens once it's complete.

EDIT: nope, failed. EaseUS's tool the same story, attempts and "succeeds" but no change.

I guess the stick is bust.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  4. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Thanks, but that failed as well, gave a whole bunch of format errors at even intervals. Good to know anyhow, hadn't heard about that tool.

EDIT: retried once more while replugging the stick and now it started formatting without errors, guess the stick had "went to sleep" even if I have USB power saving disabled.

Keitosha likes this.
  6. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    So did it work? Could you get it fixed?

7. patteSatan

patteSatan Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390
    I have an USB-stick I can't format, or build an OS image on, if I plug it into the front usb-connectors on the chassi, I always have to plug it directly into the motherboard at the back....

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    The format went through but it still didn't work so I did what I should have done in the first place and threw the stick out the window :p

I thought about that too but no difference and this stick used to work fine via chassis front ports so...

patteSatan likes this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium