Cannot open nvidia control panel

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by hanson, Feb 24, 2011.

1. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Hi guys,
    just wanna ask this : i cannot open nvidia control panel with driver 266.66 or 266.77 for my zotac gtx560ti oc, when i click it at desktop with right click on mouse first it goes crash.... only with driver 266.44 from zotac bundle i can open it and not crash..... why is that??
    btw i'm using win7 x64..... and i already instal with using "perform clean instal" but still couldnot open nvidia control panel.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  2. bliss007

bliss007 Banned

GPU:
    Asus GTX 580
    In the read me filefor last few Nvidia drivers there was a bug mentioned about not being able to open the Nvidia CP and the fix was to install the drivers a 2nd time over the top (not the clean option).

If you still have issues you will need to try remove all traces of old drivers using DriverSweeper !

3. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    uninstall driver
    boot into safemode
    use drivesweeper to clean old driver remains out
    boot into normal mode
    install new driver
    reboot into normal mode
    :)

4. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970 1450/7600
    you need to run service "nvidia driver helper service" x2 (nvvsvc.exe) without you have no access to the cp

5. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X
    I'm having a similar issue.
    win7 32bit, nvcp was working fine until I tried to enter the video options and it crashed.
    now it crashes as soon as I launch nvcp.

tried second install, clean install (inc. driver sweeper), restarting the driver helper service...
    nothing solved it for me, expect rolling back to 266.58 whql :(
    I can however clean install 266.77 and use the nvcp as long as I never visit the video options.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  6. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Yes, applejack your issue is very similar with me :) but for me i have to instal zotac 266.44 driver first which can open nvidia control panel and other setting without crash then i have to install driver 266.66 using option no.1 (upgrade) not perform clean install.... result is i can open nvidia control panel but only to see/open" manage 3D setting" or "physx configuration".... if i click setting for video or anything under "physx configuration" then it goes CRASH .... when i start agan nvid.cont.panel it crash right away as i click it.
    But weird thing is that i have 2 friends that dont have problem like mine with same videocard and same OS...... could it be bug for OS or nvidia? i bet OS. Must update hotfix or something like that.

And the second weird thing is : i cannot install nvidia 266.58 driver... why is that? if i instal first it goes normal then when trying copying files and installing it says "cannot locate hardware for this driver.....bla bla " (i forgot exactly the words said oops)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  7. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    I tried 267 beta even there's a note that this driver fix error/crash when opening nvidia control panel .... still it crashes again and again :(
    whats wrong with my hardware???

8. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X
    well, 267.24 beta solved the nvcp crashes for me.

I'm guessing you installed the 267.26 beta driver, as it support your card (gtx560), while 267.24 doesn't, right ?

9. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Thx applejack but 267.24 still crash while opening nvidia control panel and worse is 267.26 just couldnot installed in mysystem, btw now i change my card to Digital Alliance GTX560Ti sonic and the problem still EXIST, only driver from VGA (DA) can open nvidia control panel same like Zotac..... i even re install my windows with SP1 for win7 ultimate x64, the problem still EXIST........... really confuse about this.... i wonder maybe mymobo have problem with nvidia latest software???

10. wulaishiwo

wulaishiwo Banned

GPU:
    Memory size
    I've no idea about what you are talking about, sorry.

11. henrykipson

henrykipson New Member

GPU:
    no
    Hey...Really informative thread..Keep it up.

12. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
  13. Virtue

Virtue Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 WF3
    ^

Do this, disregard everything else.

14. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Thx all i will try it again .... uuufffff i almost give up hehe btw my card runs very well daily but cannot open nvidia control panel ^^

15. hanson

hanson Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING/3G
    Update:
    Finally i can open my nvidia control panel :) thx to Peppercute for his information about driver 270.32 beta :)) and thx to KenshiHH for his link ;) ....... nice now nvidia automatically make tray icon on the down right corner of mydesktop...... and i thx to all who has joined/gave advice in mythread :) great forum guys!