Cannot get PHYSX to install - desperate for help

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Komedy, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Komedy

Komedy Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 680
    while trying to install the most recent WHQL NVidia Drivers the summary post install advised there was a n error installing Physx.

I obtained the latest version for the PHYSX install from Nvidia.com and when trying to install as a standalone I get this error..

[​IMG]

I have WHQL 314.07 64 Bit installed and trying to get PhysX 9.12.1031 installed.

Any ideas as now some games will not run.

Thx in advance

2. Ziggieke

Ziggieke Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 100 ME
    - Windows 7? Windows 8?
    - Did you run it as an administrator (in case you didn't have UAC disabled)?
    - Did you do a clean install of the latest WHQL package or a Custom install?
    - Did you select all options or merely some/one?
    - Have you tried uninstalling/removing all things nvidia and physx, (in windows safe mode), delete any remaining nvidia entries in the registry/directories on your hard drive?

3. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    uninstall physx from the programs add and remove section , and reinstall, seems to be the best option. If none of that works, i will reinstall the OS and only install drivers over again.

4. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    its possible windows installer is corrupt. so you would need to run repair from your win cd.

or turn off script blocking in your security or antivirus program.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

From an elevated command prompt (right click on 'Command Prompt' and select 'Run As Administrator', or in the search area type 'cmd', right click, and 'Run As Administrator' etc), type the following:

fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\

and although not necessary, might as well do it for the other drives too. After you have done this, type exit then reboot, and try the Physx installation agian.

That command commands the default transactional resource manager to clean its transactional metadata on the next mount (next boot). This may sound bull, but it's straight from the fsutil help :)

This command helps with many issues relating to Windows Installer, including the error where earlier versions of Windows Live Messenger would not install. It may not fix your issue, but it won't do any harm.

The Windows installer stuff is actually stored in a system folder (and hence is hidden unless you specify to show protected system files), the location of which is C:\Windows\Installer

If you type that into Windows Explorer address bar, you will be take to the folder. In that folder, you will see a crapload of Windows Installer .msi files, which are used for add/remove programs etc. Sometimes if something goes awry with the add/remove procedure of a different version, or other things, it can stuff up the successful installation of newer versions. If it is related to this kind of issue, it is fixable, but can be a little annoying to track down. You could delete the affected .msi installer (sometimes this can work), but whatever you do, do NOT delete unrelated .msi files, because then you will need to reinstall Windows! First though, try the fsutil command I gave above.

6. Komedy

Komedy Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 680
    thanks for the replies. So far nothing posted above has worked.

and to help with more info...

Windows 7
    Did you run it as an administrator - Yip UAC is off
    Did you do a clean install of the latest WHQL package or a Custom install - Clean by removing using sweeper
    Did you select all options or merely some/one? - All
    Have you tried uninstalling/removing all things nvidia and physx, (in windows safe mode), delete any remaining nvidia entries in the registry/directories on your hard drive? - Used Sweeper.

7. valentyn0

valentyn0 Member Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800 XT
    The problem is not related to nvidia's physx installer (if it was nobody with nvidia cards couldnt install it, D'oh) but instead it's your windows default installer platform. I had similar problems in the past, usually updating or reinstalling windows installer would fix the problem or a complete reinstall of the OS.
    Here is a link from MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2642495

2nd problem that u may have, What version of Win 7 u have, x86 or x64 ? There will be an incompatibility on Win 7 32 bit version(x86) if u downloaded nvidia's driver for x64 platform (along with separate and included Physx Installer).

Check these 2 solutions i present u, see if it helps.

8. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    You don't have ME-3 installed perhaps?

9. tee

tee Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 550 Ti 1GB
    I'm having the exact same problem as the OP. I've tried everything mentioned so far in this thread (and more!), and still get the same error message...

Any more ideas? I don't and have never had ME-3 installed!)

xTx

10. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT

11. tee

tee Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 550 Ti 1GB
    no luck - nothing seems to happen at all when I add the /quiet switch, either through command line or by creating a shortcut as the link suggests... :/

I've found an old version - 9.12.0613 - which installs perfectly, so I guess that will have to do for now. I did find this thread and the linked post in particular is interesting: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...talling-nvidia-drivers-/post/3746686/#3746686 but I'd rather install something official rather than a hacked version...

(the hacked version installs fine and seems to work ok, btw... but I'm back to the official old version for now!)

any further ideas gratefully received :)

xTx

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  12. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    After a small amount of research on the subject, it sounds like your problem is more than likely a borked registry.
    I'd probably focus my energy in that direction if I were you.

13. tee

tee Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 550 Ti 1GB
    yeah, that was the original thoughts I had - everything the interwebs tells me about possible registry issues that could be causing the problem all check out ok, so I'm at a loss as to what could be the problem... something has changed in the official install of the physx system, evidently, especially as the guy on the thread has the same issue and has managed to hack the install to stop a script running which works for both me and him!

I'll log a ticket with nvidia, but I guess I'll be ok for a while yet, as I can't see a game needing the latest version of physx anytime soonish.

thanks for taking the time to take a look must_kill_ati :)

xTx

14. azamjad

azamjad Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 690
    I had a similar problem. It turned out that a previous installation of Physx had not left the installer in the Physx folder in Program Files or wherever it's installed to. I had to create the folder it was looking for and put the .msi installer of that Physx version in that folder before it would uninstall.

15. dhwang

dhwang Guest

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 560 ti

16. tee

tee Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 550 Ti 1GB
    no luck again - still get the same error message:

"There is a problem with this Windows Insaller package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor"

older versions still install...

:'(

xTx

17. dhwang

dhwang Guest

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 560 ti
    Disable UAC and AntiVirus software. Then install with administrator account. If it still doesn't work, I am afraid that you need to re-install the OS. Sorry!

18. Simtechray

Simtechray Guest

GPU:
    GTX670
    Run msinfo32.exe
    Does that show you information on the right hand side or does it give an error?

19. tee

tee Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 550 Ti 1GB
    ooh, you may be onto something here, perhaps...

I get "can't collect information" error...

WMI, Event Log & RPC services are all started and working as far as I can see, which is what google tells me should be running under XP to get this fixed.

I've done some more googling, and can't find any info about how to fix this, or if it's even necessary to fix it, on win 7 x64 though? :/ any tips?

xTx

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I've had problems installing PhysX in the past but I've always managed to fix it by uninstalling and then installing an older version then another until the latest version will install. In my experience it is not wise to use a Driver Cleaner to remove PhysX as this can usually mess things up even more; always use the PhysX installer itself which when the same version is ran a second time will ask you if you want to uninstall it.