Cannot get control panel to install with 186.18 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dark_helmet, Jun 20, 2009.

1. _NeO_

_NeO_ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660S Gaming X
    I had the same problem so i managed it get working by installing 181.71 (last driver which installed cp normally...) latest driver for win7 and the manually upgraded driver. This only solution for witch worked out for me.

2. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    I only went into safe mode after having the problem in standard mode - so safe mode is not the issue - it's a bug in the nvidia installer that seems to be affecting 64bit o/s.

3. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Try setting the compatibility for the cpl, physx and setup to force admin elevation and try installing then.

might be something new in windows 7, that install shield needs to work around?.

4. dark_helmet

dark_helmet Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295
    Didnt work :(

5. dark_helmet

dark_helmet Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295
    so i noticed, the nv cpl related files are being actually installed to windows\syswow64 directory, but entires being added to startup and dll registration are pointing to system32 directory...there is some wierd behavior going on...

so basicall files are getitng installed into syswow64 directory, however registration of system dlls and services (nv display driver service) is pointin to system32 directory and hence cannot start

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  6. Hauler

Hauler Member Guru

GPU:
    2 EVGA GTX760 4GB FTW
    Same thing happens to me man. Some things are in syswow64 and others in 32. This is nonsense and Nvidia need to get it sorted.

7. dark_helmet

dark_helmet Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295
    installing 190.38 went smoothly with control panel being avail. I am not sure if this is due to this new driver software package in which they might have fixed something....

But i think its fixed due to that i repaired some corruption in my windows installer by merging registry entry downloaded from here
    http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/vista-the-windows-installer-service-could-not-be-accessed/

people should give it a try. but it could very well be due to some fix in190.38

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009