Cannot get control panel to install with 186.18 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dark_helmet, Jun 20, 2009.

1. dark_helmet

dark_helmet Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295
    I am using Vista 64 SP2 on a 680i SLI chipset with driver 15.25.
    Video card is GTX 295.

Currently I am on 182.50 driver version.
    When I install 186.18 over these drivers, they driver installs fine, but the control panel installation fails. The files for the control panel dont get copied over to the windows\system32 directory as a result old control panel from 182.50 remains and never works due to a version mismatch.

On the other hand trying to install these drivers after uninstalling old ones -> rebooting in safe mode -> using driver sweeper -> rebooting back to normal mode and installing, still control panel files fail to get coped over and it fails installation. Driver works fine though.

I have even tried reinstalling 186.18 over the above partially installed, yet no luck. I have even tried installing it under safe mode. Also i have downloaded the installer from 2-3 different sources using different browsers to ecluse any download corruption that might have happened.

here is where I posted 1st, but no luck...
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100738283

I have also tried installing the control panel from its own installer that lies in the extracted out files for 186 series driver.

I have also tried getting rid of all nvidia related drivers from system including chipset and installing, still no luck.

[​IMG]

Any suggestions how to fix this issue?

One thing I havent yet tried is installing the 186.18 driver and then manully copying over the nvcpl*.* files manully into the system32 directory and using regsvr32 to register the dll. For this can someone here with this driver and same OS as me upload their files from the windows\system32. I think there are 2-4 related to the control panel. Thanks.

2. dark_helmet

dark_helmet Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295
    btw, I never installed the 185 series driver due to a problem in overscanning I was having with 1080p resolution. I use my HDTV as my monitor and with drivers prior to 185 series, like 182, resizing the screen never reduced the resolution. So after resizing 1080p remained 1080p while with 185 this resolution got reduced as well as hz got changed. Not sure if this problem persists in 186

3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  4. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    logic would have you uninstall the old driver first, to prevent version mismatch.

5. dark_helmet

dark_helmet Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295
    190 series has the same problem.
    Driver gets installed but control panel fails to install.
    Tried clean install method too.

Basically the control panel installer doesnt work.

6. SkaarjMaster

SkaarjMaster Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX-280 1GB
    Is this a Vista/Win7 issues or does the same thing happen with the XP32 drivers for 186.18? I'm probably going to be changing my drivers from 182.06 to 186.18, but if the CP will not install then forget it.

7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    It's definitely not a Vista/7 issue, since the 186.18 and 190.15 installed just fine here and both times the control panel was working, also.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Actually the new driver should install flawlessly over the old. That's the way it is designed. However, some -mainly enthusiasts- like to do a clean install. I've had occasional issues using both methods.

9. RLCF

RLCF Member

GPU:
    Crossfire R9280X/3GB
    Forceware 186.18 and Physx bugs after Driver-sweeper

I figure out, before the guru3d driver-sweeper 182.50 to 186.18 no problem,
    after having used it to clean all nvidia files, now I can only install 182.50 to down and to complete the newest version of PHYSX installer have a strange bug, it install and remove all the files of the AGEIA's folder resulting in several games crashes like Mirror's Edge. I had to manually copy all files before the installer delete them. The 186.18 and physx installs perfectly in Vista 32bit SP1. My OS is Vista x64 SP1. How I can resolve this, without having to install Vista again ?

10. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Instead of hijacking dark_helmet's thread, start your own please, RLCF.
    Just click on the "New thread" button above all the individual threads.

11. krazyq

krazyq Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 970 FTW
    im having the exact same problem in xp, havnt tried win 7 yet
    i've tried both drivers 190.15 and 186.18. i wonder if anyone has figured it out!

12. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    I've got a similar issue but with win7 - slightly differnent symptoms but in the end the same result no nvidia control panel...

What happens in my case is the driver starts to install but stops for ages at the point below.

[​IMG]

eventually the install manager gives up with this report...

[​IMG]

driver apears to be installed...

[​IMG]

but no nvidia control panel...

Only way i've found to get the control panel back is system restore...

edit
    I also tried to install teh control panel by itself - this is what happened..

[​IMG]

so it appears the reason the control panel won't install is that it can't detemine the dirver version :bang::bang::bang:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  13. jmsquared

jmsquared Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX690
    Nvidia control panel

I has installed the 186.18 on both XP-32 and Win 7-64. I can open Control Panel in Win 7, but have to click on Physi-x Properties to get to it. I cannot open it at all in XP, it tells me it's not installed. When I try to execute it from within the driver package it will not load; I'm told it is unable to install. I have not been able to figure this out.

I should mention I use the clean install method with new drivers.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  14. cloudman

cloudman Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus CU II GTX 780
    I had the same issue...went into control panel and found it.

15. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    Iv had teh same issue... I found that i had to go from the Nvidia 15.25 forceware drivers to the asus 9.09 or whatever they were forceware........ Now its just fine after that no clue why they dont work with 15.25... Or maybe i should try and go back to 15.25 but all my audio skipping probs are now gone soo ...

16. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
    Most problems in this thread can be tracked back to one issue: PhysX installer

Unpack drivers with WinRAR or 7zip.Remove Physx installer from the folder(or delete it) and run install trough setup.exe

Should work just fine now

17. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI

Total win! many thanks RaXelliX - i unpacked the driver , removed the physx installer and ran setup.exe - everything installed fine!:banana::banana::banana:

18. RaXelliX

RaXelliX Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080
  19. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    No, its not.

Windows Vista has always had known issues with updating locked files. its always safer to clean install, more so because doing so updates the Driver profiles properly, where as an upgrade install does not.

20. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    You're problem is SAFE MODE.
    the CPL will not install in safe mode, (MSI's don't work in safe mode).