Can you Damage a GPU with Afterburner?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by ArmoredFist, Sep 4, 2017.

1. ArmoredFist

ArmoredFist New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I just installed a used GTX 1070 card and it works great. Until a few hours ago, I knew NOTHING about the Afterburner utility. I didn't even realize it was an overclocking tool and just opened it and slid the fan to 100% and the core and memory sliders to 100% thinking they we're performance settings. I didn't touch any power or voltage settings.

After a few minutes I got a blank screen and when the Win7 desktop came back on and there was a message about the driver not functioning correctly. I put everything back to default (except I keep the fans at 100%).

Did I damage anything? I doubt I did but now I'm wondering...can you fry a card with Afterburner just by maximg the clock settings?

Stock voltage, no overheating...how could that damage anything?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You're fine, it would just become unstable and crash if anything, but why didn't you do some research into Afterburner before blindly cranking everything up to max?

Definitely a good way to kill hardware if you don't have a clue what you're doing, good job you didn't do this in the BIOS with CPU vCore

3. horrih

horrih New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6Go
    TL;DR : no you did not damage your GPU

Long Answer
    Basically two things can fry your GPU :
    Excessive Heat
    Excessive voltage

Modern GPUs and CPUs are designed to downclock or shutdown when excessive temperature is reached to prevent damages, so you should not have this kind of issues anymore
    Excessive voltage can occur if you push the power slider too far in afterburner, but most cards set an upper limit (+20% of power in the case of my 1060) that should be more than enough to prevent any issue. So if you don't have a special bios enabling extreme overclocking and voltages that shouldn't be an issue either

What happened for you was simply an unstable overclock : since your GPU's behaviour is hectic, the driver crashes. Setting the core/mem frequency back to normal should fix your issue.

4. ArmoredFist

ArmoredFist New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yep. I can't argue with that. I should've researched it but I didn't.

5. ArmoredFist

ArmoredFist New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Thanks! Yeah, that is my logic, too. There was no excessive heat and no excessive voltage.

I do feel pretty stupid for fooling around with Afterburner without knowing what was. I can see how it is a good tool for maximizing performance.

6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Power limit and temp limit you can crank up to max, clocks and voltage you have to test in small increments at a time, raise clocks, test, if stable raise a bit more, keep doing that until it is no longer stable, then raise vCore slightly to stabilize again, rinse and repeat until you find your max OC then best practise is to drop clocks 10~MHz to ensure stability

vRAM has no voltage control so just a case of finding max clocks and dropping back a bit from that too

7. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Press F :D

8. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Bleh I've had 9 gpus and i couldn't kill either one of em even if i wanted to with Afterburner.

P.S Yeah I'm that guy that kills his gpus to get new ones from RMA after the old gen is out of stock.
    The only way i found to kill gpus is via bios editors.

9. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I managed to kill a 6850 by accidentally shorting out DVI>VGA trying to make my own lead

10. ArmoredFist

ArmoredFist New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Thank you. Just hearing that makes me feel a lot better. The GTX 1070 is a great card and thinking I could've messed it up was bothering me!

11. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    You CAN actually break cards with Afterburner, or at least you could. I have killed an EVGA 560ti after it auto-loaded something from the card I had before.

12. tfam26

tfam26 Guest

Just don't mess around with voltage and you should be fine either way. Messing with memory and core clock will 99.9999% just result in crashing the driver or something along those lines and you can simply restore the default settings within AB.

13. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    .. I killed a 4890 by pluggin a monitor into the wall then whilst the pc is running i was lazy to go around the back of the pc and look at the dvi connector so i just
    touched the DVI on the metal thingy and the moment i touched the gpu's dvi metal outline some hugea$$ electricity flowed through my body.
    The power in the whole apartment stopped and the gpu died. Earlier this year i killed my r9 290x the same way with a projector but this time i didn't get electrified
    because i was touching the cable where i should. Which brings me to the conclusion that there's something wrong with the circuit in my room.

14. Unwinder

Unwinder Moderator Staff Member

I think I'll be redirecting those who request increasing GUI voltage limits to +200mV to this thread. :)

Extraordinary likes this.
  15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Your sarcasm is noted. :p

16. Soren01

Soren01 Member

GPU:
    RX480 8GB
    How does the temp limit exactly works? If the GPU reaches the limit, will it reduce performance or increase fan speed?

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Both.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Of course it can. Pieces of its code could stuck in videocard firmware - and voila... Only resetting of CMOS on videocard will help then.
    Pity this is not April 1st, or I would go deeper...
    :cool:

19. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    It's difficult to outright kill a GPU, since its firmware and the driver have safety measures. However, you do shorten the GPU's overall lifetime. The more current and the higher the voltage that goes through the GPU and the PCB components, the quicker they will bite the dust.