Can the Displayport 20 pin issue be overcome?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gerb68, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Gerb68

Gerb68 New Member

GPU:
    HD 5850 1Gb
    After going through hell trying to figure out what my problems were on a triple monitor screen setup with one display using a displayport to DVI connection. I am now 100% sure its the 20 pin problem that I have.

My question is how can this issue be resolved?
    Are there known displayport adapters available that overcome this?
    I have an ATI Radeon HD 5850. Do I and can I get a new graphics card that can beat this problem?
    Do I need to get a more complaint monitor?

Are there any DIY tutorials/videos around showing a fix. I know some people pull out pin 20 but is this the only way and is it a difficult job?

Any help on this matter would be great.

2. Gerb68

Gerb68 New Member

GPU:
    HD 5850 1Gb
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have any links or model numbers to the cables you used.

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
  4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    ^what he said.

5. Gerb68

Gerb68 New Member

GPU:
    HD 5850 1Gb
    How do I know if an adapter is certified it doesn't state it anywhere in the specs. I use a Startech.com DisplayPort to DVI Active Adapter.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Usually if they're compliant, it'll say so. That's why I only use Accell cables.

http://www.accellcables.com/product...splayport-version-1-2-cable?variant=846828945

7. Gerb68

Gerb68 New Member

GPU:
    HD 5850 1Gb
    I have purchased an Accell B087B-001B UltraAV Display Port/DVI-D adapter and now I receive 'The display settings could not be saved please try a different combination of display settings' when I try to extend to monitor 3. The config I now have is DVI+DVI+DisplayPort-DVI active adapter.
    Is there a fix or workaround for this? I tried everything I could think of re-installed AMD drivers. Reset resolutions on Desktop displays.
    Do I need a new Graphics card or is this a Windows 10 issue?
    I cant understand how all 3 displays worked perfectly for a couple of years then suddenly stopped.

8. Gerb68

Gerb68 New Member

GPU:
    HD 5850 1Gb
    The Display port adapter does work when only using 1 screen.
    With DVI + DVI + DP to DVI connected only DVI + DVI work.
    with DVI + DP to DVI connected DVI + DP to DVI both work.
    with DVI(the other DVI port) + DP to DVI connected DVI + DP to DVI both work.

Then it gets weird. When I connect all 3 monitors and switch around which monitor is connected to which connector (i.e. either of the DVIs and the display port) only 2 monitors work but there is a randomness as to which 2 of the 3 monitors work.

Also the reason I ask about it being a Windows 10 issue is because I have read that some people began getting this problem only when they upgraded from Win 7 to Win 8 or Win 10.