Can TEC achieve sub-ambient temps?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Chromed1, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Chromed1

Chromed1 Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA NVIDIA GTX 285
    Can TEC achieve sub-ambient temps?

I was looking at chilled water and such. I relaize i would need a different water block for the TEC plate... but i couldnt find anywhere that it state that it could achieve sub ambient temps.

2. Chromed1

Chromed1 Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA NVIDIA GTX 285
    ok i just didnt look in the right place... the very next google link i clicked on had it as up to 20C below ambient... Anyone validate?

3. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    Yes a peltier can get you below ambient. And there are a few ways to do it.

A peltier under a WB on your CPU will make temps lower than ambient on idle at least, but probably not under load.

You can also use a real chilled water loop, where you have a loop with a radiator and a loop with the CPU block, they are both separate. The loops are connected with a peltier or a set of peltiers, the hot side is on the radiator loop and the cold side is on the CPU loop, which means that cold water is running right over the CPU giving you very good temps. :)

For very good reading on these you can try extreme systems forums or overclock.net, both forums have a bigger chilled water/extreme cooling sub-forum...

Not that some of us don't do it. :p its just more common there. :)