Can`t enter BIOS!...

Discussion in 'Laptops & Notebooks' started by H83, Apr 7, 2022.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hi everyone,

i have a Samsung laptop with a Linux Distro (Manjaro) and i want to replace my old and slow HDD with a SSD but like the tittle says, i can´t get into the BIOS of my laptop, for some unknown reason.
    I have tried F2, F4, F10, F12 and Delete but nothing works...

So, any advice or help towards this issue is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for all the help!

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    What Samsung model?

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Usually entering the UEFI is done by press F2 very quickly after power in on. Trouble is the some laptops enter a deep sleep state, so it's not a cold boot, thus rendering useless the user input.

On context, when booting an Arch distro as Manjaro, there are some options shown by default, like booting the kernel version/OS and booting to UEFI , aka BIOS settings.
    You can easily enable those y altering the

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

More hands on approach. Pull out the old HDD, and insert the SSD. Boot for installation, then cioy your data over from the HDD.

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So after reading your replies, i have tried some solutions and i managed to enter BIOS by removing the HDD and booting without any disk.

Then i proceeded to change the boot priority, to boot from the USB drive, but when i put the (empty) SSD into the laptop and start the system, the system doesn´t boot and instead it shows an warning saying that the laptop can not start because the disk is empty.

So, how the hell do i install the OS in a empty SSD???

Do i need to install an OS on it and then proceed to install Manjaro on top of it???

I do not understand what i should do next...

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Also note that when laptop has Fn key on keyboard it should be pressed along with F2, Del keys...

anticupidon likes this.
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    In one instance when I had a very stubborn Fujitsu Siemens laptop, I had to install the OS on the laptop's HDD, but connected it to a different workstation. Just installed, and the inserted back into the laptop and installed drivers and whatnot.
    Weird, but worked.

OP, in your case it's even simpler, install your favourite Linux distro on the SSD connected to a different machine, and put it back into your laptop. Will boot just fine.

That's it if the installer doesn't start in your laptop with the SSD where you want to I install in the first place.