Can someone help me?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Barrock, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Barrock

Barrock Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    This is what I have. Windows Vista 32 bit. 3 gigs of RAM. AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core. 2.30 GHz. All came in the Gateway FX7200 package.

Starting Champions Online it detected I didn't have the latest drivers so I went to update them. I'm pretty sure I had version 7.15.11.7545. I updated to 8.15.11.9038. Everything went fine, minus some flickering at the company logos when the game loaded. Created my character and altogether played for around an hour to an hour and a half. I logged out, and browsed the internet for awhile, and then decided to log back in. Same thing with the flickering titles. I get in game, and play for around a minute and the game freezes, screen goes to black, sound starts repeating itself, and the monitor turns off. The computer reboots itself and the resolution is at the lowest setting. I try again, same thing. I tried Bioshock which I played around 3 days ago. I get to kill one enemy before the game freezes, and the computer completely reboots. So I rerolled back to 8.15.11.8585. I tried Bioshock again. Exact same thing.

I downloaded .7545 and attempted to play Champions again. I played for a good five minutes before it froze and I had to manually restart the computer. Someone suggested another driver, and Driversweeper. I also cleaned out the computer with some canned air, cleaning out all the dust. Installed a recommended driver, 1.8250 after a clean sweep. Now Champions only makes it to the loading screen before freezing and rebooting, and Bioshock lasts about 35 seconds.

I'm starting to feel like my video card might be toast, or perhaps something else since the drivers aren't helping at all... Any advice?

2. itsb1again

itsb1again Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 285 @ 702
    Before you make those assumptions I'd try to reinstall windows. I really don't think it's a driver issue since it's doing it across multiple versions. Do you have anything to monitor your gpu temp?

3. Barrock

Barrock Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    Windows is working perfectly fine. No problems on anything except games.

No program to monitor my GPU, no.

4. itsb1again

itsb1again Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 285 @ 702
    If i had to go with anything i'd say it's a problem with the heat. That's why windows works fine because your card should downclock to about 300 mhz to run only windows..

About reinstalling windows; I would do that just to rule out everything possible with your OS.

If it continues to do it then it is a heat related problem.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    The problem is more likely the drivers.....more importantly how the drivers interact with the DX API. I would completely uninstall the graphics drivers....reboot, run driver sweeper to remove the remaining files/registry entries....reboot again, then reinstall ONLY the 190.38 drivers.

Heat issues very rarely cause the issue he's describing. It can be verified by checking the event logs in event viewer.....

6. Barrock

Barrock Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    But what I don't get is why I was able to play Bioshock 2 days ago with the 7.15.11.7545 driver, and now with 1.8250 installed which isn't the newest, but is newer than .7545, it crashes almost as soon as I enter the game.

Is there any information I can provide from Event Viewer that might help figure out the problem?

7. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    Before we go to crazy here, you might try system restore. Use a restore point just before you installed the new drivers, that should get you back to where you were. You did not mention how exactly you rolled back your drivers, was it the safe mode using the driver sweeper method? I ask because rolling back drivers any other way can leave newer files on the system that the older driver won't overwrite causing problems. Going up in driver versions usually won't cause these issues.

Now as far as drivers, I suggest the 182.50's to start with.

8. ginj

ginj Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx470
    i have almost the same problem here, but with cod4 (didnt tried any other games)
    i installed 190.38 like 2 weeks ago, everything was fine except the fan (run at full speed when u quit a game)
    but then 2 days ago, cod4 crashed like every 1 to 2 minutes.
    i thought it was a punkbuster update, so i updated it manually, start the game, and still getting crashes.
    but after a reboot, i thought it was fixed.
    but i was wrong, game freeze again, getting a black screen, ctrl+alt+del show the task manager fine, but then the game resolution change on its own to different settings.
    wth is this ?
    temps seems to be just fine (with evga precision)
    im gona run more test this evening and maybe uninstall those drivers and try some older ones. I will report back if i get results.

9. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    This is a little off topic, as we are trying to help the OP.

I suggest if you want help you open your own thread or post this in the 190.38 topic thread here.

The 190.38 drivers have proven them selfs to be very fast and very unstable. You might try rolling back to your previous driver.

10. Barrock

Barrock Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    When I rolled back the drivers, I just used Windows Device Manager. When I installed the driver I have now, 182.59, I used driversweep and did a clean reboot. If I want the driver I had all I have to do is install an older driver and then have windows search the internet for the latest driver. It always comes up with the driver I was originally using, .7545.

11. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    Try System restore, Don't have "Windows" search for newer drivers, go to nVidia.com, Guru3D or your computer manufacture's web site. Microsoft drivers are stripped down versions with features missing.

Then when you have your rig stable again use the sticky at the top of the forum for driver installs. It sounds like you have left over files.

Also would like to recommend you check your manufacture for newer MB drivers and check the directx files for issues once you get your system stable again.

12. Barrock

Barrock Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    The computer is completely fine as long as I don't try to play a game... Well the two games I've attempted to play. I originally downloaded the latest driver directly from Nvidia.com and I've used driversweeper to get rid of files.

What is the easiest way to view my MB's driver version?

13. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    Did it play games before the driver update? If so System Restore will fix it.

To view driver versions,

MB = go to device manager and right click MB chip set and right click and select property's. it should be listed there

To check the directx files go to Run and type in "dxdiag" without quotes and look at the driver file versions to see if there are issues or miss matches, then check all the tabs to see if it found any issues.

Edit: For clarity

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  14. Barrock

Barrock Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    Bioshock did play, not too sure if Champions Online would have played.

DirectX Diagnostics says everything is normal. Don't see the driver version of my motherboard, though.

Don't see Motherboard under Device Manager. Vista doesn't list it for some odd reason.

15. Barrock

Barrock Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    I attempted to run Bioshock again. I think I got this error when it crashed.

Crash dump initialization failed! For some reason my date was reset back to 2007, so it's difficult to determine the Event.

The entry <C:\USERS\FAMILY\APPDATA\ROAMING\BIOSHOCK\MEMORY\CURRENTGAME\LEVEL_1-WELCOME.BSG> in the hash map cannot be updated.

Context: Application, SystemIndex Catalog

Details:
    A device attached to the system is not functioning. (0x8007001f)

Hmm, seems like someone had a similar problem to me.

http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22176&page=2

Also, this just popped up under Microsoft Problem Reports.

Address a problem with NVIDIA Graphics Driver

NVIDIA Graphics Driver has stopped working properly.

A driver update, if available, might prevent this problem from recurring.

There are several ways of locating and installing driver updates, but it is best to let Windows do this for you. Try the first step below, which describes the process. If it doesn't produce a driver update that solves the problem, then try the remaining steps in the order given.

Also:

Description
    A problem with your video hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

16. Barrock

Barrock Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8800 GT
    Okay with Windows saying my video card is failing I'm going to attempt to find a driver that works before I replace the card.

What driver works best for the Geforce 8800 GT? Perhaps the driver just before the latest?

17. dracis

dracis Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 1GB @ 960/1400
    You've got a AMD 9600 with the infamous TLB bug. Simple as that. Either get an update for your motherboard to fix the TLB bug (which also cripples the CPU), or get a new CPU alltogether. If you get the 9650 or any Phenom with the appended xx50 in the model number, then the issues will be fixed. Any of the AMD Phenom Quad Core CPUs with the revised xx50 in the model number has the TLB bug fixed in them - i.e 9550, 9650, 9750 and 9850.

I can assure you that if you get a motherboard fix that corrects the B3 stepping bug (which is not worth it imo since it cripples your CPU really bad), or just opt for getting a 9650 then your problems will be solved.

I personally had this bug with the same exact CPU, and I honestly don't know why AMD is still releasing the CPU even if it's to OEM businesses. All it does is cause more trouble than it's worth. I called newegg even after a week was up and they gladly took it back and credited me the full amount - ordered the 9850 right afterwards. Since it's not their fault, they just sent it right back to AMD and told them to suck on it. :banana:

I'd get on the horn with Gateway and tell them what's going on. There's more than enough proof to back your claim. I would be pretty pissed off if I were in your *****... again.

Edit - Why is the forum censoring the word "sh oes"? :3eyes:

18. LEXX911

LEXX911 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    LOL! Reinstalling Windows. Oh please.

Just keep trying another drivers and see if it will work. Maybe try installing the driver and delete the physX exe file from installing.

Also check your Device Manager to see if you have any yellow Exclamation mark(!).

Also is this a new installation or old and did this recently happen? Did you recently install anything or patches?

You can take a look at this. OR install SP2 for Vista if you haven't done so. But I think you need to install SP1 first before installing SP2.

Maybe you should try removing one stick of ram and have just 2GB instead of 3GB.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  19. dracis

dracis Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5770 1GB @ 960/1400
    No amount of patches or software will fix the TLB bug. The only way to fix it is to get a BIOS patch from the motherboard manufacturer or get a new CPU. If you had an AMD motherboard, you could esssentially use their software, but that's a whole 'nother story.

This thing goes deeper than videocard drivers, Microsoft patches, or anything else people have suggested from this topic already. The problem lies in the CPU itself - not other hardware or drivers.

Just do a search on google about "9600 TLB" and you'll see almost half a million hits about the issue. I'm surprised no one knew about this or is backing me up on the issue. I'm speaking from personal experience, and I highly suggest ditching that CPU and getting a replacement. The TLB patch wasn't worth the performance hit, so I ditched it alltogether and just got one that was "fixed".

20. LEXX911

LEXX911 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    What the hell are you keep on yapping about? So what exactly is this bug you are talking about?