Can someone help me remove shutter-noises from my wedding audio?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Miller, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
    Hello everyone,

I may not be the most well-known of members around here but I've been a member for some years; if anyone happens to have noticed a lack of posts from me there's a very simple and happy reason.

In the last couple of months I have been planning my wedding - the big day itself was one week ago today!

Due to my disability we had to plan a small wedding and actually got married in the rather-lovely living room of a holiday home nestled amongst the mountains. Almost everything went swimmingly and, to an extent, the lack of guests we were able to invite was offset by being able to have a webcam ******ing it all through u******.

Photographs of the ceremony itself were shot by my 50D tethered to the same laptop that was ******ing the webcam and my 20D remote-shooting from another angle. We shot video of the ceremony using a GoPro attached to the camera tripod and recorded audio of it (because I know the GoPro mics are a bit feeble) with a digital dictaphone.

That all worked well and now the long job of sifting through video and photographs has begun (the new folder on my PC titled 'wedding week' weighs in at over 70gb). The video's come out well, as has the audio, but the problem is that there are two mechanical shutters clicking every five seconds. They are offset, so it's sort of click, pause, click, pause, pause, pause, click, pause, click etc.

What I'm wondering is whether anyone could advise me if, or how, it's possible to remove these noises from the audio track. All of the noises will be almost identical to each other (barring minor mechanical variations) and they are at set periods every five seconds so I kind of think that they would be easier to remove than trying to target non-descript background noise but I don't really know where to start.

You can still hear the audio and the words of the ceremony despite the shutter noises and to be honest you do sort of blank them out after a while but it would be really wonderful if something could be done about them.

Could anyone possibly help?

Thank you :)

2. Andrés

Andrés Guest

Though I never used this function specifically, Audacity has a Noise Removal feature where you can sample the specific noise you want removed and then it combs the entire audio track looking for it and removing it.

You can get it here:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

3. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
    Oh! I didn't know Audacity had such a feature built-in, I'll investigate it. Thank you, Andrés!

4. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -