Can my ridiculous dinosaur of a system handle a 3080?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by EFH, Sep 18, 2020.

1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    p6t deluxe. I think its ok but not at fullspeed.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    good board, make sure you have ACPI 2.0 switched on in the bios and that should be enough to get the card to post.

mitzi76 likes this.
  3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Thanks that could have had me scratching my head! I do realise I could be losing 20fps or so...maybe more but am ok with that I think. Monitor selection is tricky am waiting on the lg nano 4k screen reviews. £750 quite a bit to drop on a screen!

Am toying with the idea of perhaps something bigger and using it as secondary screen for netflix/ps5 but am trying to get to grips between VA and nano etc and also whether hdmi2.1 is that big a deal.

its one of those am thinking I dont play that much to perhaps merit a 3080 etc and maybe just a better screen with a ps5 hooked up...

4. - found on fortune cookie -

mbk1969 and Undying like this.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So your 930 isn't horrible, definitely aged that's for sure. That being said, those usually have about a threshold of 4-4.5ghz depending on the stepping revision. If I remember right, d0 930's are better for overclocking(just be prepared to overvolt them). If you want to upgrade your system for cheap, there are unlocked 6 core Xeons out there you can get for pretty cheap. That or go Ryzen, but with your current system I wouldn't recommend anything over 2070 pref level.

mitzi76 likes this.
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the 45nm nahalems typically hit a sharp voltage increase at around 3.9Ghz to retain stability, compared to the 32nm westmeres.

a $20-35 5670 will typically go to 200x19 within the auto vid range and run at 1.210-1.230v happily, however you end up having to lock your bclks around multipliers that total your DDR speed since the xeons have locked memory multipliers on most boards.

7. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    This is why you push upwards to 1.4vcore on them. Nahalem cpus can handle that vcore no problem. Even still, considering they are unlocked you shouldn't have to touch the bclk at all, and just only rely on multiplier overclocking.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    exponential heat scale, your temps go up fast once you go past 1.38v, thats why i avoided it on my 920.

Bclk and uncore stability also start to become a problem, the nahalem imc quickly decays beyond 1.35.

mitzi76 likes this.
  9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Correct! Cant my rem vcore exactly but it needs a big ol whack to reach 4ghz and on air my temps in a heat wave are up in the 70's on air. You need a good cooler and some custom fans. I have a fan controller which I got for when was on water so I can run a 100cfm fan at high speed. (push n pull).

Still I think I got a good chip. Once a year at least I redo paste.