Can I Switch To Ryzen 7 2700x From Dell R710

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zeebaluch, Jan 26, 2019.

1. zeebaluch

zeebaluch Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 2080 Ti AMP-E
    Hello,

I'm currently using Dell R710 with dual x5660 Xeon and paired with 15k SAS RAID-5 HDDs. As all of you know that new Ryzen 7 2700x platforms are introduced and equipped with latest storage like PCIE NVME the fastest storage technologies. Can I migrate to Ryzen 7 2700x platform which has almost 8/16 cores/threads at 4.0Ghz with multiple PCIE NVME storage in RAID as a fileserver for Exams? As my old Dell R710 doesn't support NVME neither SSD Disk. Will it be a good migration? I need your guidance here because my upcoming exam has 100 candidates which are going to connect my server through their Desktop App as its computer based exams. Please guide me for better solution. What I feel Ryzen 2700x is way faster than Xeon processor and paired with PCIe NVME like (Samsung 970 Pro) in Raid is way better than SAS HDDs. Please I need your suggestions...

2. Thought about SAS ssd? That would get you a lot faster storage. Migration would be tricky as hell......way more so than cloning your existing raid array over a set of sas ssd's in same system. Dual xenon's 6- core is plenty for file server, especially with fast storage. Better to build your new one and do a proper new install and get it ready to go while your old one is still working. That way you can work out the kinks.

3. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I think it's bad idea that all students access single machine during exams.
    CPU plays little role for file-server, it basically comes down to Ethernet bandwidth cap and server I/O.

If single student have to download 100MB of file, the local network will get flooded before server I/O does. How much transferring data we talking about?

Anyway, if you really worried for your server, I'd rather consider cloud solutions. Upload file to private google drive and share link on exams.

4. zeebaluch

zeebaluch Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 2080 Ti AMP-E
    Dear I'd install Intel 4 x 1Gbps Quad Port PCIe Network Card I hope that'd be enough for data transferring. My main point of discussion is Ryzen 2700x is faster than Dual Xeon x5660 and if I pair with PCIe NVME Read/Write 3500MB/3200 MB/s I mean its way way faster than 4xSSD in Raid-0 :) I/ O speed won't be an issue as Ryzen clock speed @ 4Ghz. Now I hope you got my point...

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I do understand your point, it just quite unique situation and I am not sure if it's the right approach.
    Anyway, I think you can find some benchmarks on the web regarding fast PCIe NVME I/O over network and how CPU affects it.

Sorry I couldn't be any help.