Can I SLI different brand GTX460's?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Hayden202, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    Hello,

Just had a question about SLIing two different brand 460's.

I really like this card and my plan since i built this rig in August was to SLI my Palit Sonic Platinum 460 with another of the exact same card from Palit in the future.

Well palit has gotten on my nerves and i don't want to spend anymore money if I can help it on their cards. Not that the cards are bad-I just had a bad customer service experience and don't want to invest in them again.

So my question is:

If I buy say the EVGA 850mhz core clock GTX460 and hook it up SLI to my 460 (overclocked to 850mhz). Will the cards react weirdly to this? I'm pretty sure the EVGA card is more of a reference design than the Palit card which is totally non-referenced in cooler and card layout. But I am not sure if this really matters-I have heard that as long as both GPU's are the same the SLI will work regardless of brand.

Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this or can offer any advice! Any help much appreciated:)

2. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    From what I understand, they will run at the speed of the slowest card... Not sure about overclocked cards though.

3. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    I have Never tried it but I imagine you could :D Just make sure they have the same amount of VRAM and same clock speeds.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    If that's the case he can just slightly OC the slower card to make the two match.

If he's feeling adventurous he should just flash both of them with an EVGA Superclocked BIOS or something else with higher than normal clocks.

5. Nono06

Nono06 Master Guru

GPU:
    680 GTX SLI (1215/6884)
  6. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    Ah right thanks appreciate the help. I guess I'm just worried about the reference design vs non reference design but I'll try and speak to nvidia directly.

Guess I'm just wondering if overclocking the slower card to match the higher will lock them in at the higher speed. Just trying to decide if buying the higher clock EVGA card is worth it.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    If you put the higher clocked card in the primary slot, then the lower clocked card in the secondary, will get clocked up to the primarys speeds automatically.

If the slower clocked card is in the primary slot, and the higher clocked secondary, then the higher clocked gets downclocked automatically to match, as the speeds have to match, and it always goes by the speeds of the card in the primary slot.

Well thats how it used to be, might have changed now, i dunno. :)

8. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 SC EE
    Just get a evga superclocked version and oc it to ftw, thats what i did. Just make profiles in afterburner and switch back to stock speeds when not gaming. You dont have to link the clocks of the cards if you dont want to, I ran my 8800gt's at different clocks in sli because one wasnt as stable as the other. You also can run a reference card along with an EE with no problem, as long as they are both the same 768/768 or 1g/1g good luck!

9. Dingmatt

Dingmatt Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 470 GV-N470OC-13
    Nvidia says that you can SLI any GPU's which share the same chip and series number, In reality you can actually SLI any GPU's with only the same chip (i.e. 8800GT & 9800GT) but you have to flash the bios'.

I've SLI'd cards of different clock speeds without issue (just overclocked the slower card), so I don't think you'll have a problem.