Can I pull this off with my aged i5 Ivy???

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Pigchild, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    I want to go full on 4K gaming and had a question. Next week I was going to get rid of my 2 GTX 680TI cards and do a bit a research on the fastest card I can get for 1 Grand after I buy my high end 4K gaming monitor.

Thing is I rather not replace my outdated, yet great quality and rock solid i5 Ivy bridge, MOBO, and 16Gb of DDR3 2133Mhz Gskill RAM. (this hardware and the CPU overclock at 4.0 have been so stable, reliable, and rock solid.) No problems with the 850 watt Seasonic Modular power supply and in fact it's been such a great PS unit.

Will my Overclocked i5 Ivy and 16Gb of 2133 RAM be of any serious obstacle for my 4K gaming as long as I go with a beast for a GPU card? If it will, Then I might need to lower down on the beastly card to fund new MOBO, RAM, and CPU. (Mobo is an MSI Z77A-GD55 with

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  3. Pigchild

Pigchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Super
    Yea, thread count at 4 was my concern. Maybe an i5 Coffee. 12 Threads and pretty fast, but then new MOBO and DDR4. Oh well. Gotta pay to play I guess.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Coffee Lake i5 is still only 6c6t unfortunately so not worth that price Intel is asking for.

5. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS BE
    For 4k you're going to want the best of everything you can get. I don't think 3770k will make much difference, and a more balanced system might be better overall. A newer system could bring DDR4 and NVMe and higher IPC. At 4k you're likely GPU limited anyway...
    BF V charts suggest at 4k no CPU can help you, even with 2080Ti.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Except for the fact that the 4c/4t i3-8100 beats up the 8c/16t r7-1800x - and i3 without even turbo.
    The 6c/6t i5-8400 beats up 16c/32t TR-1950x.
    Granted - Intel's prices suck right now, but to me it doesn't make sense to buy a high end Nvidia, and cripple it with an AMD CPU.
    The fact that AMD has for many years used Intel processors to measure performance increases in their drivers, suggests that even to AMD, Intel processors are 'worth that price' when performance matters.
    The difference between the i3-8100 and the i7-7700k is about 17% - exactly the difference in clock speed.
    The i7-8700k is within 2 FPS of the i5-8400.
    These numbers suggest that the hyperthreading does not help in this title.
    6c/6t seems enough for nearly any game right now.
    [​IMG]