Can I Plug a PS3 to my LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Einahpets Gynn, Dec 17, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Just a quick question mighty Guru's of 3D, I'm thinking of buying a ps3 and I'm using a HP w2207 22" monitor, my tv doesn't work all that well and I don't really watch tv that much anyway..:nerd: is it possible to plug my PS3 to the monitor?

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Yes if its supports HDMI.

3. BamBoozleD

BamBoozleD Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 FTW LE Sli
    Or if it has DVi and HDCP support, should work just fine. You can get HDMI to DVI for like 20bucks. Most monitors after 2007? have HDCP support, don't quote me on this.

4. Lolol Thanks, I don't think it's HDMI compliant but I do have some HDMI>DVI wires that came with my GPU, around somewhere...Hooray for DVi then! =D Would I lose any quality? and what about sound??

5. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    So long as your display is HDCP capable, you can do HDMI --> DVI. To get audio, run a regular AV cable (composite yellow, white, & red) from the AV port of your PS3, and run the white and red into a RCA to 3.5mm audio converter (like this guy here - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021804&p_id=5611&seq=1&format=1#largeimage), After plugging your white and red audio ends from your composite cable to your adapter, run the 3.5mm end to the "Line In" on your audio card. Every audio chipset should have a "Line In", and you should be able to enable / disable it, and even configure bit rate or quality settings.

The PS3 supports multiple audio outputs simultaneously now after a recent firmware update. To send audio just through you AV port, go to System --> Audio Settings in the XMB.

6. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Also, most monitors support component with a vga adapter, as long as its in progressive format.