Can I pair 980 Ti AMP Extreme with normal 980 ti AMP?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by zeebaluch, Dec 16, 2015.

1. zeebaluch

zeebaluch Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 980 Ti AMP Ext SLI
    I currently have Zotac 980 Ti AMP Extreme Edition card. Can I pair it with Zotac 980 Ti AMP only? Normal AMP edition have lower clock rate than extreme edition. Will it affect SLI Performance? Thanks

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    (.)an X
    Yes, that will be fine. The cards will run at their own speeds, it's perfectly normal in SLI to have different boost speeds even on cards of the same model.

3. zeebaluch

zeebaluch Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 980 Ti AMP Ext SLI
    Ok. I'm using Intel i7 5820k, Will my CPU get bottleneck by SLI'ing my cards?

4. Singleton99

Singleton99 Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    not at all you will be fine :)

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti sc+
    You can do this now? I haven't used SLI in a very long time but I remember back then the higher clocked card would downclock to match the slower card.

6. MMking

MMking New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 980Ti 6GB
    Due to the way dual graphics solution behave in DX11, the maximum performance is twice that of the weakest card. Regardless of how fast the more powerful card render frames. This is because in DX11, dual graphics is not supported, so the GPUs have to alternate frame rendering.

But yes, you can combine two Nvidia cards of the same model with different clock speeds. But the memory amount must be identical, and memory clock speed should be the same, even if you need to clock one of the cards down.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015