Can I OC This Cpu to 4.2ghz using this Mobo? (Links inside)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Scyris, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Scyris

Scyris Active Member

2. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    There is no gurantee when overclocking. Some chips do better than others but 4GHz is common with the latest revision.

Not sure how well that mobo overclocks. Google reviews on it.

3. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Its possible but most chips need alot of voltage for over 4ghz, if your going for big overclocks your better off with a 790/890 chipset.

4. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700XT RAW
    Will need mess with the voltages & chipset not help.

Geton 790/890 betters for overclock

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Extraordinarily unlikely you'll do 4.2ghz stable. Extraordinarily. 4.1ghz for me is only stable on water (240 rad) and if I disable a core and keep the northbridge at default to keep temps down. And then, only barely.

6. bdub5886

bdub5886 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 G1 Gaming
    i think if you hit 4.0 ghz on that cpu would good, with a 790/890 chipset. anything over 4.0 ghz is rare, even with h2o cooling. even with the c3 revision on that chip, you would be hard pressed to get over 4.0 ghz

7. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    No you may not. ;)

There's such a slight chance of passing 4GHz with the 965 on air that you should rethink your options.

If this is just a "I wanna be in the 4GHz club" thing, then you're going to have to go Intel - and pay their price.

Alternately, as I'm sure you've all read/heard, there *are* those "one-in-a-million" chips floating around out there that will indeed overclock to 4GHz on air...but the chances of you getting one of those are literally billions to one.

3.7GHz is more than most people need for anything (for now anyway) - and overclocking a CPU to it's max right out of the box leaves you with nothing left when it starts feeling slow later on down the road...

Psychlone

8. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    haha yeah, there was a time when I wanted to be in that club, but it just wasnt worth using a CPU at its breaking point and failing often. Settling for 100% stable at 3.4-3.6Ghz is completly fine. You really have to bench at 4ghz and see if the few % extra or few FPS gain is really worth the benchmark time.

9. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    LOL - it's true, and we all do it at some point...trying to have the fastest rig on the block (or forum).
    Thing is, even as a veteran hardcore overclocker, I realize the importance of a stable rig that you can trust vs. a rig that's right on the bleeding edge of stability.

I've got the Phenom Overclocking Guide here and in other forums that thousands of people have used to overclock their rigs - and the guide can be used from any AMD processor from the K6 to the most current 1090t processors (with 2 small adjustments to the math for anything older than K8)
    Even though I know overclocking inside out and understand every part of what's happening during an overclock, I choose to run most of my hardware at about half of what it's capable of (literally, I usually will run a 3.2GHz CPU at 3.6GHz, even though I've proven it to run over 4GHz)

Thing is, even if you can attain a stable high overclock right now, at some point down the road you're going to start to feel the processor's age and really want to overclock it some more, and then you're screwed - 'cause you've already used up all your overclocking headroom right from the get-go.

Don't get me wrong - there *ARE* processors by AMD out there that will do 4GHz without a doubt. Can you find one, and should you do 4GHz on it are another question entirely.

In reality, there is less than 4FPS difference in gaming at 3.0GHz and 4.0GHz on most common hardware - taking into consideration stability first...without stability, it doesn't matter how high you can crank up your components - those 4 frames per second don't account for anything at all if you can't actually play a game.

Good luck. Hope whatever you choose will suit you well.

Psychlone

10. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    ^^ Very good advice. ^^

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I have my AMD Phenom 965 @ 3.95ghz on air... Idle temps are 37-39 and load temps, say in crysis goes MAX to 48...

I've never had the pc turn off or overheat. God bless the 965...

It was quite simple, you just gotta go and buy the BEST possible cooler, say a Noctua ND-14 like what I have, a coolermaster v8 or v10, etc...

Oh yeah, and you must have a GOOD motherboard which will allow you to overclock.

Go for this board, same as mine, great board: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  12. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Your idle temps seem quite high especially that you have a Noctua ND-14 and a haf 932 case.

13. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Plus, load temps from a game are a far stretch from actual "full-load", as a game hardly pushes the components to their max.

Not saying there's no way you're stable, but what I am saying is that you really should run OCCT, Orthos or Prime95 for a 24 hour period to determine true stability - I wouldn't be surprised if one of those benchmarks fails at some point, AND that your full-load temps are significantly higher than what you've seen before.
    Linpack run for 10 passes will heat your processor 10*C higher than any of the other benchmarks, but isn't an end-all for stability - I've seen a rig pass 10 passes of Linpack only to fail Prime95 in it's third hour...it's not necessarily the heat (which Linpack will push), but rather the algorithms and if they can be passed correctly over a period of time.

Psychlone

14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah, slightly... However, this is due to the fact that it's summertime and my room is really stuffy, around 25...

It should drop slightly when it's colder...

15. Scorch666

Scorch666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    Thats cool. Also gets really hot in my shed (where my compo is).
    Roll on winter, thats what i say.:)

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, I hate our winter though, it's nothing say compared to Canada/Alaska but no matter what you wear, you still feel cold!

And then in the summer, I sweat like crazy more than most people...

If only the weather was between 18-22 all the time... I know I'm dreaming, lol

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Your apsolutely right Psychlone... I will need to run a proper stress test from prime95...

Just one question, supposing it's not stable and it fails stress tests like prime 95, what could it result in?

Reason I ask this is because a few weeks ago I DID run Prime 95 and as soon as the temps went to 50 and 51 I got a bsod...

However, even though it failed the stress test, I still kept the same settings and until now it's the same as it was last time.

All games and programs run fine and I never get bsod's or freezing or crashing.

I always monitor my temps and they NEVER go over 44 or 45.

So why/how is it unstable if load temps never go above 44/45 unless I run prime 95?

Why is it unstable when running prime 95 but completely stable when playing games?

Can the instability cause any damage or problems in the long run?

18. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Bump, please help with the above

19. Thunderball

Thunderball Member Guru

GPU:
    HD5870+Twinturbo Pro
    I doubt the cpu will be stable or even boot at 4,2 ghz. For me 4 ghz is the most i can make the cpu run stable with air cooling. Anyway give it a try. It will need a lot of testing though. You need to raise the voltage which means higher temps. So buy a good cooler and watch your temps.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  20. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sorry Kanej - lost the thread for a while...

Heat isn't the only reason that an overclock fails stability tests.
    Running at that much of an overclock is bound to throw errors because the processor just can't handle all the operations and algorithms that fast.

Raising voltages is the only 'fix' for instability, but there's a fine line between too much and not enough, and only you can determine where that sweet-spot is.

Even though you've failed a major stress test but have been stable in day-to-day use, your system is still actually and truly not stable, and never should be used for important data or server work, because at some point, some operation is going to get fudged which will result in a BSOD or corrupt system file.

If you can't find stability with some voltage increases (CPU-NB and VCORE mainly), then you're going to have to reduce your overclock, and/or settle for less speed on the RAM to gain the stability back.
    Sounds like you're pretty close...just be very careful with the voltages and you'll be fine.

Good luck!

Psychlone