Can I make a crossfire betwee one Ati 4850 and 5750?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Hell-o, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Hell-o

Hell-o Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 660 SC 3Gb
    Please can anyone tell me if I can install to different Ati cards an make a crossfire between 4850 an 5750 and if its possible what power supply do I need how many watts?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. Spongeguard

Spongeguard Member

GPU:
    ATI / HD 5770 / 1024mb
    Yes, but to my knowledge only if your motherboard supports Hybrid CrossfireX

3. Hell-o

Hell-o Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 660 SC 3Gb
    What is this where can I find info about motherboards that supports this thanks for your replay but I need a little bit more info.

4. Spongeguard

Spongeguard Member

GPU:
    ATI / HD 5770 / 1024mb
    I'm not the most experienced with motherboards, but check your manufacturer website.
    My motherboard supports Hybrid CrossfireX which allows me to run my HD 3300 onboard gpu in xfire with my HD 5770

5. ibitato

ibitato Guest

No you can't crossfire different chips families.

Hybrid CF is ment to crossfire integraded ATI gpus on mobo with dicrete cards; even there, you cannot crossfire different chips.

[​IMG]

6. Hell-o

Hell-o Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 660 SC 3Gb
    Ok thank you very much for your info

7. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    you MAY crossfire them with lucids hydra chip.
    some MSI mobo's have that chip already.
    It even supports combining nvidia and ati gpus.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2844

8. ibitato

ibitato Guest

I would love to see that.

9. ibitato

ibitato Guest

There is no point in mixing a low end card with a middle/high new architecture card.

The low end card will end up bottlenecking the whole graphics subsystem .

10. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    actually it wont bottleneck anything.
    I have a good friend working in lucid here in Israel and as far as I know the low end card simply wont get much work done.
    It wont hurt none but it probably wont help none.
    But an 4850 and 5750 is mixing it up pretty well.
    Two good mid range cards, pretty equal actually, can do good work.

11. what's the point though, I mean I don't see why you'd want a dx11 api card combined with a dx10 card, you wouldn't be able to take full advantage of one card. Anyway I don't see how the scaling would be anywhere near as good as two identical cards, in fact I'd imagine in some games it would be considerably worse since there probably isn't the best driver support for an unusual config like that.

Edit: I checked this review http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=815&type=expert&pid=3 and the results don't really impress me, I tend to think you're better off using two indentical gpu chipsets and knowing NVIDIA, I'm curious how'll they'll react with this tech, anyway I found it interesting that the review stated "There were a couple of hiccups to note though; in our multi-vendor testing some of the DX10 titles had some significant coloring issues that didn’t show up for other media that had used the same demonstration machine." Whatever I just think that there are problems to come just in the way NVIDIA and ATI shader processors differ, especially with the new FERMI architechure.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  12. ibitato

ibitato Guest

Like you , I see no point.

13. phill1978

phill1978 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire 1GB 5850@840/1140
    I think/hope you can still use your IGP though, for other functions such as extended desktop.. ontop of eyefinity with the other card i belive.

i will try it, i have 3xscreens and 5850 (DVI,DVI,DP) and IGP 890GX Ati with VGA and DVI, i have two spare screens also and the cables :)

I shall let you know :nerd:

14. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    It is possible to install different series video cards on motherboards with Lucid Hydra chip, like MSI Big Bang Fuzion. But performance won't be as good as with same cards.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  15. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    @xbeast the lucid chip and software works by dividing up the the work by what your available graphics cards can do so each gets the amount of work to do that it's capable of then all finished work is returned to the lucid chip chip which then combines it for output to your monitor you may not get the same sort of speed up as say two cards the same in crossfire but you will get a speed boost over just a single card

16. amieneel

amieneel Guest

GPU:
    XFX 5770 + 240 GT PhysX
    No .. Would be worst of money ..