Can I get to 1.5v on a 6800NU?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by thegreatyashu, Apr 1, 2005.

1. I have tried everything... but I don't think I have been able to get past 1.4v on my 6800NU

I used nibitor and it *says* the bios is set at 1.5v... but the "change" from 1.4v to 1.5v yealds not one single more mhz on my core or ram.

I would have thought that it would have let me go a bit higher as the change to 1.4v gave me quite a few more mhz.

I am not sure how rivatuner is measuring core volts... when I have it set to 1.5 it says 3v and when I have it set to 1.4 rivatuner says 2v.

so I really don't know exactly whats going on.

But like I said I would have thought that 1.5v from 1.4v would give me *something*... some kind of change... that is why I am thinking that it isn't really running at 1.5v

but I could be wrong and I have hit my mhz celing and no amount of voltage will fix it :(

2. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    Please put your stats in :) I'm curious, whats your O/C speed at the moment?

3. I'm at 390/880 at 1.4v

I am trying to shoot for round numbers, 400/900... but I have a feeling that at even 1.5v my memory won't make it... (does voltmods even effect memory voltage or just core?)

I can already hit those numbers now but there are artifacts...

blue and red dots (memory) and also noise when playing videos and some flashing textures (core I think)

now my temps aren't so bad... less then 60C full on... and I have a zalman copper cooler for the card...

4. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    390/880 is a good O/C :)
    I'm not sure about the voltage thing, but my logic would suggest that your upping the voltage to the AGP slot so it must affect the whole card. :confused:

5. don-vercetti

don-vercetti Master Guru

GPU:
    Connect3d Radeon X1800XT 256mb
    how would he use nibitor to up the AGP voltage?

Anyway BIOS voltmods don't increase the volts to the memory. It should increase power to the core, however if your limiting factor is heat, then the voltmod won't help. What temps is it? And what maker as well.

6. GOZ

GOZ Guest

You'll need a hardware mod to get a real 1.5v the PSu on the card can't handle it in most case's:)

7. Kirk54

Kirk54 Master Guru

GPU:
    7800GTX go
    My GT did not even like 1.4 volts. I think that 1.5 is just too much for any 6800.

8. x8diesel

x8diesel Member

GPU:
    PointOfView 6800Ultra 256MB 460/1210Mhz
    My 6800Ultra had 1.5v by default! Except if this is Bios's choice..!

9. oc-nighthawk

oc-nighthawk Active Member

GPU:
    GF6800GT/SoftQuadro FX 4000
    You also have a second molex.

10. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    You cant set GPU volts to 1.5v on a 6800NU card, max is 1.4. However standard 1.4v option in 6800NU BIOS does not set 1.4v. You could probably call it a sort of safety feature, since with NU bioses it usually sets gpu at 1.3v.

A proper 1.4v option requires that you use a suitable Hex editor to change the "8C02" option in the bios's GPU volts lookup table to "8C03".

Or you could just go to M V K T e c h site for more information on improving performance of your card/bios.

And 400/900 is quite easy for a 6800nu !

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005

11. GOZ

GOZ Guest

Re: Re: Can I get to 1.5v on a 6800NU?

Huh, In Nibitor if i set the hex to 8C03 it set the voltage at 1.5v funny that way 8C02 is 1.4v so what your saying is a nu can't run 1.4 gots to 1.5 i don't think so. And yes ive read you r other threads i tried the 8C03 and my card didn't like it

12. Wait are you saying I can't get to 1.5 on a 6800NU? and that I can't even get to 1.4v either unless I do some hex hack?

nibitor claims I am at 1.4 already... it doesn't even *have* a 1.3 option for a 6800nu.

and I am confused about hex editing here... hmmm

13. col888

col888 Active Member

GPU:
    6800 Flashed to GT 16xP 6xVS @ 410C 920M w/ VF700
  14. col888

col888 Active Member

GPU:
    6800 Flashed to GT 16xP 6xVS @ 410C 920M w/ VF700
    guess Im not allowed to post links here, never mind, heres the missing word from the link above, mvk tech (1 word, no spaces)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  15. I tried that bios and it didn't make a difference...

that seems to be a version 1 bios... I wonder if it will make a difference, as I had a stock version 2 bios...

artifacts at the exact same speeds...

I am not able to get riva tuner to report correct core voltages... the "autodetect" button is ghosted for me...

16. GOZ

GOZ Guest

nibitor changes the vid2 to 1.4. most NU's don't change voltage between 2d and 3d, so in nibitor nu bios read that yes there is a 1.4v setting but the bios will never point to it
    thats why you got to mod the vid 2 to 1.4v so now it shows 8C02=1.4v just my take on it

17. PCBliss

PCBliss Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x eVGA 7800GT SLI
    i dont think 6800NUs or GTs can run at 1.5v. I moved my GT up to 1.4v and it loved it, ran cool and would clock up to 460/1220. But the second i tried 1.5v it got all wierd and would freeze up. I think i read somewhere that the 6800U has an extra capacitor or something that allows for 1.5v to the GPU

18. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    NiBiTor does nothing but TRANSLATE binary values. When they are wrong, NiBiTor just gives wrong information.

Don't you know the first rule of computing ----> rubbish in equals rubbish out !!!!

The FACT is that the GPU volts Lookup Table of LE/NU bioses are incorrect. A position that doesn't matter to people who leave their cards/bioses at original stock levels. But if you want to set 1.4v for high core overclocking, then you must change the bios lookup table to the correct binary value !

19. jimmor

jimmor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA8800GTS 512Mb
    The 6800GT can be set for 1.5v by adding a "9603" option to the gpu volts lookup table options. But as you have already found, most GT's don't work very stable when volts is that high. In fact for some reason, many GT's appear to work better at 1.3v. Maybe just a side effect of different quality components used with different manufacturers cards ?