1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I game on my main rig from another room? Remote Desktop/Stream/Long cables?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Grifftech, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Grifftech

Grifftech New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780T1
    So my main gaming rig is in the basement in my workshop and I still want to be able to game when I am upstairs in our master bedroom but don't want to build a whole new PC.

Our bedroom is pretty much right above the basement shop, would it be possible to run a long HDMI (maybe 30 feet) from the second port on my GPU to a monitor upstairs and then get USB extensions to run for a second keyboard? The second keyboard has a USB pass through I could probably plug a mouse into.

If that is possible I would need to figure out how to get data from the soundcard up to new speakers.

There is probably some crazy easier way to do this but I have no clue (obviously:))

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/

maybe that might be a solution, don't do it myself, but could be an orientation.

you'll have to buy them off ebay, they are discontinued. But software support is still active.

edit: there's also nvidia shield which is more expensive and has additional features.

shield is around 200€, steam link should be around 30-40$ on ebay.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  3. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    My desktop computer is upstairs in my bedroom and my notebook computer is in the garage/workshop. The notebook computer controls an CNC router. My desktop computer has 3D modeling programs. If I can control my desktop computer using my notebook computer, I would be happy. I have Verizon FIOS with WIFI. Any suggestions?

4. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I tried Remote Desktop Connection app that came with Windows 10 and it worked.

5. Grifftech

Grifftech New Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 780T1
    What did you remote desktop from? Another computer?

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Steam Link and Nvidia Shield game streaming both work fine. I prefer the Shield since I use it for more than just my Steam library but I have tried both and they both work fine.

7. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    I used my notebook computer in the garage/workshop to control my desktop computer in my bedroom using Remote Desktop Connection app that came with Windows 10. I was able to use programs that are installed on my desktop computer. I think that games that require gaming controllers like game pads and joysticks will not work.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You're better off either running long cables or using something made specifically for gaming. I think remote desktop apps will be a nightmare to try to game on.

9. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    Use a VM log in

10. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    Use steam link, an old PC with WLAN for steam in home streaming (now called Steam remote play), or use a display / TV with the wireless display standard upstairs and pair it with your downstairs rig.
    That's only what comes to my mind right now, and all of those still have downsides.

Keitosha likes this.

11. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB \ GT1030
    Get a Raspberry Pi 3B+, install Raspian or RetroPi, install Steam Link. Have 2x Steam Link HW and replaced those by Rpi's due to the Pi offering better IQ (also use it for desktop usage, Netflix, MPC-HC etc...).