1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I DECREASE my FreeSync range without hurting anything?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Jayson, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Jayson

Jayson Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    I have an ASUS MG278Q with a default range of 40-144Hz. However, I wanna keep my REFRESH as high as possible, even during low-ish frame rates. For example. if I'm running a game at 60fps, I would like my monitor to be running at 120Hz with LFC.

What's the smallest FreeSync range I can use and still have LFC?

I wish there was a way to have 72fps @ 144Hz consistently. If turn off FreeSync altogether and try to cap my frame rate to 72fps, there will be moments where it's perfectly in sync with the refresh and then it will fall out and stutter since it's not actually locked to exactly 1/2 of the refresh rate.

Is it possible to maybe change my FreeSync range to 72-144Hz and then change my frame rate to 70fps to have 140Hz refresh in FreeSync?

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    There is no reason to do that. If you run a game at 60FPS, freesync will update the monitor at 60Hz. Whether the scanout time is that of 120Hz or 144Hz doesn't actually matter (other than a 144Hz scanout time has a bit less input lag compared to 120Hz.)

But if you're hellbent on doing that, then all you have to do is switch to 120Hz. This will give you a freesync range of 40-120. But again: there is no reason whatsoever to do that. With VRR you should just use the fastest refresh rate the monitor supports.

Things like 60FPS@120Hz and 72FPS@144Hz are useful only when not using freesync. When using freesync, you're not "locked to 1/2 refresh rate" or anything like that. When the game runs at 72FPS, the monitor also runs at 72Hz. That's what "freesync range" means. There is no "1/2 refresh" lock or anything. This only happens once you enter LFC (in your case when dropping below 40FPS, so for 39FPS the monitor will run at 78Hz.)

3. Jayson

Jayson Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    I think maybe I didn't phrase things right.

I'm trying to minimize the pixel inversion artifacts by keeping my monitor's refresh rate as high as I can, but my GPU can't push that many frames, so to run 60fps at 120Hz has less artifacts than running straight up 60Hz. You know what I mean?

4. nikobellic

nikobellic Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 480 8GB OC
    For your* monitor in theory the smallest freesync range with LFC should be 72-144Hz, when you get below 72FPS it should double the Hz. So, you can start from there and if LFC does not work, go below that little by little like 70-144Hz or 68-144Hz etc.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019

5. Jayson

Jayson Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    I tried 70-144Hz last night and it seemed to work really well. At 60fps, it went right to 120Hz, keeping my monitor's refresh rate nice and high so that I wouldn't see the pixel inversion lines. There's one caveat about this setup, and that's when my frame rate is above 70fps, the monitor obviously has to dip into sub 100's and the lines come back. Since it doesn't seem like I'll get rid of the lines completely because the frame rate is always changing, I just decided to put it back to 40-144Hz the way it came from the factory.

LFC seemed to work perfectly fine with 70-144 though, so technically I could cap all my games at under 68fps and enjoy high refresh rates with FreeSync, but that seems like a pain since not all games have a built in limiter and RivaTuner and FRTC introduce a little bit of input lag.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Hm. I think that for LFC to actually work at all, the upper limit of the range needs to be at least 2.5 times larger than the lower limit? I don't remember if 2.5 is the magic number, but it was something like that. Maybe there's some info out there to confirm.

So if you use 70-144, that doesn't look like it's enough for LFC to work. Are you really sure that 60FPS results in 120Hz in that case instead of 144Hz?

7. Jayson

Jayson Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    I have an OSD that shows the monitor's actual refresh rate, so yeah I'm sure it's working. 60fps results in 120Hz at 70-144Hz.

8. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    lfc can work with as low as 2x, though it seems that amd has some-kind of other check to enable it, not all monitors with 2x enable lfc.

9. Jayson

Jayson Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    That's interesting. Mine definitely worked at 70-144Hz as was shown in the OSD and I could tell it wasn't stuttering.