Can high pressure compressed air damage fans?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OpenSource Ghost, Sep 5, 2023.

1. OpenSource Ghost

OpenSource Ghost Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Ti
    I have a hardware compressed air generator that blows air at much greater pressure than compressed air cans do. I use it along with a soft brush to clean PC components. None of PC hardware is ever damaged by blowing air on them, but I have concerns about fans. Applying high air pressure on fan blades at an angle makes them spin extra-fast, way past their maximum speed. Doing so helps with cleaning, but does doing so damage fans?

2. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac sff rtx4070s
    Probably generates enough leccy to power New York. Have you connected a multi meter to the fans wires and got a read out on the the leccy generated.

3. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HoF PTX 7095 Ultra
    What's keeping you from holding your finger on the fan while dusting ?... :rolleyes:

4. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    This ^^

Or if the air pressure is dangerous (such as if it's strong enough to cut soft tissue/damage skin etc), put a rod or otherwise use something to block/jam the fans from rotating

5. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HoF PTX 7095 Ultra
    If the pressure is so high that it would rip your finger off, then it can also rip electronics off the board.

I suggest upping the procedure a bit and using a chainsaw to clean the computer.

6. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Personally i've always been fond of the Sawzall.

sykozis likes this.
  7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Amateurs.... I use an Oxy/Acetylene torch to clean my PC.... I like to make sure my components are adequately disinfected, and all the dust is removed.

Jokes aside, yes, excessive air pressure CAN damage fans and PC components. Fans are made of plastic. Too much air pressure can result in fan blades fracturing or outright breaking.

CalculuS and wavetrex like this.
  8. OpenSource Ghost

OpenSource Ghost Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Ti
    The air pressure I use is not high enough to damage typical electronics or fan blades or skin. It is higher than air can pressure. It is also high enough to make fans spin much faster than they do on their own when powered on. The reason I do is because such spinning gets rid of some dust in hard-to-reach places behind some fans. It also improves PC security by blowing off loosely attached motherboard WiFi andn BT components.

My concern are the fan bearings and other internal fan parts affected by super-high RPM achieved when high air pressure is applied to fan blades. Fan blades themselves are not in danger.

P.S. I was joking about the security part :D.

9. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Fans spinning faster than design will wear the bearing out faster (especially most none ball/roller bearings) and can generate high enough voltage to damage components attached.
    Also when spinning backward will generate -ve voltage which can cause insta death to some circuits. Though I wouldnt expect that to be true of modern designs.

sykozis likes this.
  10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I once had a youtube comment argument with the guy over at TECH YES CITY.

He did a video on using compressed air and just blasted the entire PC and fans, letting them spin insanely fast and they even started to make whinning noises in the video.

I simply commented saying something like, "you really should either tape or hold the fan blades in place as making them spin like that so fast could either break off a blade (if it hits the case) or it could damage/dry out the motor"........... Something which I have done my self.

He replied by calling me an idiot noob who knows nothing about PC's and that hes done this for X amount of years and its never happened to him. To which I replied something like, there is always a first time. And he (and he followers) proceeded to reply to my comment harrassing me for no reason.

Eventually he deleted my comment along with the reply thread.

I am sure he did another video later and did the same thing with a datavac which is much more powerful than a can of compressed air ***facepalm***

Mufflore likes this.

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Amusing.
    No doubt karma paid some of them a visit :)

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've watched a few of his videos and to be quite honest, his channel is the last place I'd go looking for useful information. I'd hit the local Walmart electronics department first.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Been using a leaf blower for last 15-20 years, nothing damaged yet.

14. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    I'm also using air compressor (compressed to 80psi) to blow dust off my PCs and all my PCs live way past their useful life LOL (I ran out of relatives to give old PCs to)

15. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Possibly, depends on the plastic used. Just don't go all out if you're worried and first use a brush to loosen up the dust. And hold the fan when blowing out it, don't make it spin at 12000 RPM.

I've been using a aircompressor all my life to blow out the PC, it's running at only 8 bar.

16. rgnuyda

rgnuyda Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI560GTX Ti Twin Frzr2OC
    I've been using an air compressor to clean my PC for quite some time now, and I haven't encountered any issues with fan damage.
    Similarly, I clean my work PC the same way, usually once a week when the cleaning crew comes to clean the office. They clean the desks and monitors also, which is a great plus. Everything is disinfected properly by them. That's what I like about this company, the attention to detail.
    I don't know how other companies clean, but if anyone is from Lafayette, Going Green is the company we use, and I recommend them.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024