Can Full Cover Waterblock RDNA 2 Variants deter Miners & Scalpers: Restoring Availability?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Eastcoasthandle, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    For the past 2 months I've noticed that full cover WB GPUs were the only thing available consistently. While fan cooled variants were either priced to the moon or non existent. The caveat is that these full cover wb cards are much more expense. At first I thought that the availiability was do to cost. However, after seeing the same scalpers trying to sell off these cards for weeks it dawned to me. Miners aren't that interested in full wb rdna 2 cards.

Is it true that having a miner farm of full waterblock gpus are indeed cost and time prohibitive do to the additional maintenance that would be required to maintain them? IMO, it would be. And, since miners aren't willing to pay scalpers their price for them slow down demand for these type of gpus? It looks like it, IMO of course.

So, what if AIB's flood the market with full waterblock variants of the Taichi, Nitro, Merc, Rog, etc. That should reduce the overall cost of GPUs with full wb and creating inventory (thus reducing cost to buy) to actually buy cards that would have been scalped for the same price as the fan variants.

To be transparent this is all hypothetical and more about discussion.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    They probably aren't interested because of the time and added extra costs involved it would take to set up multiple water cooling loops. I know i've done it in the past and wouldn't mind again. But it can be a hassle and then there is the maintenance of draining, cleaning and refilling the loop. It's a good way for us gamers and benchmarkers to get hardware though.

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Thanks for the insight on this. Good to know someone can post about this.