Can Dust REALLY F*** Up Your PC??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kanej2007, Sep 4, 2010.

1. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I have one intake on the bottom front and 4 exhaust fans with mesh everywhere. No problem with overheating even when overclocked :)
    [​IMG]

Besides, summer is over!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Guys, there's no hard and fast rule about dusting time.

You need to dust according to the environment. My computer's in a basement, I have to dust once every couple weeks or I see temps affected.

3. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Amen to that bro. I got an antec 1200 and I love my dust filters. I end up cleaning them about every 3-6 months. There is a little dust that makes it inside the case, but its a LOT less then if I didnt have the filters on there.

4. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    No. Dust will not do anything bad to your components. Matter of fact, do not ever clean it out. Let it build up as much and as fast as possible. Manufacturers bank on this and make the most money from these actions. :D

5. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Actually dust can affect your components.
    Depending on your environment the dust can actually have conductive properties. Use your imagination as to what that can cause.
    I would keep your rig clean. Every month or so I would blow it out just to be sure. That's all you really need.

6. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    Yeah I have a cat and the dust is alot worse (well i get dust and cat hair). I have to clean out the front of my case every 3 days or so. I open it up and blow the whole thing out once a month.

And yes, ive had problems when i havent cleaned out my case in 3 months and it starts getting too hot. Especially since I overclock so it seems to happen faster than someone who dosent. But i would get the same as you; BSOD'S, IRQ not less or equal, restarts, and all that good jazz.

edit: one that that i do that helps is put your pc on a box or stand or something so its off the floor. it will suck in less crap

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    Remember that blowing dust out can result with dust getting in where you connect stuff.
    So vacuum cleaning might be needed if dust got into the connections.
    I use both a homebuild pancake compressor and a vacuum cleaner, but not getting much dust into the PC, since it has dust filters.

Remember always to ground yourself and the equipment you use for cleaning together with the PC (case), so you got the same static electricity level.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  8. InfDaMarvel

InfDaMarvel Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD3850 256mb
    Yup, a friend of mine just lost a mobo because of dust, prob due to overheating and what you've mentioned.

9. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Let's take a big money making company, like a bank or something. You really think they clean out the pc every month? Hell no, try never.

So where is the advice coming from to clean out the pc every month? Actually, if you do it wrong, vacuum it for instance, you can break the parts because of static.

I do admit it makes for a cleaner looking case, but it's not really lifesaving.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Intake Filters are your best bet imho.

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    They also don't have i7s running at 4+ Ghz and high performance video cards overclocked to the max.

Mine needs to be cleaned. If I don't, and the radiator is allowed to clog with that much dust, temps will be drastically affected.

Like I said earlier, there's no hard and fast rule. You clean according to the need. Some people may get away with once a year. Some need it more often. Just as there's no reason someone should say that you should definitely clean once per month, there's no reason to say you definitely shouldn't.

If enough dust is on it, and the temps get high enough, then yes, it can affect the longevity of the card or component. I'm sure we've all seen some nasty CPU fans, I know I've seen people with components running at 80C+ because of the dust and gunk in there.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  12. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Dust slows down the PRM of any fan. Use common sense to this problem. Dust will kill your PC dead by slowing the fans, killing air flow and eventually over heating your electronics! If you look at your fans and they are caked full of dust it is safe to say they have not been doing close to there RPM's.

If your fan says it is rotating 2500 RPM and it is covered with debris, it is a safe bet it is not rotating 2500RPM. LOL

Think of a plane. Would a plan fly safely if there intakes were blocked?

13. ed6698

ed6698 Active Member

GPU:
    pile of crap
    I have the Antec 1200 case. I have to clean my filters every 2 to 3 weeks. Have no carpeting in the computer room and a hepa filter, but with 2 cats and a dog I have no choice. I could just imagine how it would be inside with no filters. I don't really get much in the case so I just do a general blowing out of the insides. I use a small coleman air pump to clean out the inside.

14. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    When you're on the bleeding edge overclocking your pc you're right actually. Ignore my previous post.

15. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    I took my carpet out and varnished my floorboards. No carpet ftw!

It does help a lot.

16. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Well said. Fly a plane into an ash cloud lol.

17. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah, I will get some this weekend.

18. djjonastybe

djjonastybe Master Guru

GPU:
    HD6950(70) 885/1350
    Dust can kill humans but not a pc, unless the dust blocks air vents or something, your computer will heat up and boom. :)

There are worse things to worry about. I have seen computers live for 10 years or longer and never cleaned from the inside.

I am talking about a 2.2 ghz single core with 512 Mb DDR1 and ATI Radeon 9200 from 2003 or something now lol.

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    They got dust free server rooms, air condition and filters.
    The air conditions get maintenance once a year, since that is where most of the dust is filtered anyway.

Workstations get only cleaned when trouble starts.

You can easy find PC's that start to behave unstable and keep freezing up, cause of dust blocking the airflow.
    Airflow can be blocked in several parts of a PC like ventilation slots, obstructed fans and cooling fins.
    And naturally a reduced airflow leads to more heat, in extreme cases it will result in an overheat issue, modern motherboards/cpu's will regulate the speed down and even shut down to prevent damage.
    If you are overclocking on top of that you probably got every temperature regulation turned off in your motherboards BIOS, which makes it easy for large amounts of dust to kill your PC.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  20. dirthurts

dirthurts Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse

I can guarantee you this, a computer has never failed due to being too clean.
    Most dust in the home is actually human skin(so I'm told, probably cat hair in my home). Human skin conducts.
    Intake filters are a great great idea. I use them myself. The help a lot. But you have to clean them too.