can computional error occur?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by gaban, Jan 6, 2011.

1. gaban

gaban Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 460 OC XLR8 1GB
    I use my 460 to fold and i set the voltage to 0.912V from stock 0.975V and clocks to 700/1500 from 775/1850. Using the lower voltage i am concerned if my card can cause computional error while folding. Is there any indication if an error has occurred? I have been folding for few days and never my system crashed while folding, I have tried games at above settings and didnt crashed either.
    btw my gpu is emitting high pitch beep only while folding . The sound can be heard clearly when i put my ear near the gpu. This doesnt seem to be related with the voltage though, even at stock setting the beep is still there.

2. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    the noise you are hearing is 'coil wine' it normal and will go eventually if your gpu was unstable and returning errors the client would detected it and would 'EUE' (early unit end)
    the client is very sensitive to errors, it more likely that them memory would cause errors so if you wanted to you could run a memory test on it and if your able to run the gpu with less voltage and an OC then you must have a good chip

hope this helps

3. gaban

gaban Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 460 OC XLR8 1GB
    Does that mean i dont have to worry?
    how do i know if there is any error anyway? i am using gpu3 beta client
    I undervolted because i thought it would help lessen the stress on the gpu, and the temperature is much lower also

4. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    undervolted should be fine as long as your not EUEing any work units

you could look at your log file it is located iver where you installed it or in the c/user/your user files/AppData/Roaming/folding@home then look at the log file or you could just install HFM.net is a client monitoring program it will tell you if you have failed any work units and alot of other info that you my find interesting

link to site
    http://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/

link to download
    http://hfm-net.googlecode.com/files/HFM Release 0.6.1.251.zip

5. gaban

gaban Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 460 OC XLR8 1GB
    Thanks for your help :)

6. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    I was folding away nicely on an SMP a3 WU and 2 gpu2 WU's :pc1:and all of a sudden at 88% the SMP WU went and shat itself EUE'd which made the 2 gpu wu's also shat themselves with Unstable machine time outs..... and I'm all like WTF:3eyes: as I'd been keeping an eye on things and eveything was going along tickity boo

7. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    That's weird because I have encountered situations where SMP2 gave errors but my GPU continued to fold. Could be some rare error or something.