1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can ATT help with DX10 titles locked at 60Hz?

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Generic Discussion' started by r2rX, Jul 26, 2008.

1. r2rX

r2rX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    Can ATT help with DX10/DX11 titles locked at 60Hz?

Hey all.

I recently discovered that DX10 titles (for some odd reason) lock themselves to a refresh rate of 60Hz. This includes Gears of War, Crysis, Lost Planet and Bioshock (but this issue, concerning Bioshock, is solved via the v1.1 patch).

I've tried RefreshLock v2.21 and the refresh rate locker in ATT....but nothing seems to work.

I was just wondering if there is something that can be done? Can ATT implement a refresh rate locker that supports DX10?

Cheers.

Edit: I have a feeling that the refresh rate management system of DX7/8/9 are, basically, the same. Which can probably explain why when you lock a refresh rate of a resolution above 60Hz, those DX-related games work.

However, DX10 (for some reason) probably doesn't share the same technique as prior DX's, which could explain how/why so many users cannot force/increase the refresh rate above 60Hz for DX10 titles.

Interestingly, though, 2K Games got Bioshock to work in DX10 and work with whichever refresh rate was chosen (so instead of being forced at 60Hz, it worked at 100Hz for example...based off current refresh rate managers i.e RefreshLock or ATi Tray Tools refresh rate manager).

I do not know how they managed this, and if what i've written so far is inaccurate, could someone explain exactly how it works?

If you are reading this Ray, could you input as to how this can be solved? If it can?

r2rX :D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    I don't understan you. Are you talking about FPS limiter in that games or VSync?

3. r2rX

r2rX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    Can ATT help with DX10 titles "locked" at 60Hz?

Hey Ray.

Basically, if you have a monitor that can display resolutions above 60Hz, there is a high chance that you would use a refresh rate software to ensure that all titles, at any resolution, use the highest refresh rate possible that the monitor supports (i.e. RefreshLock, or even ATi Tray Tool's Refresh Lock feature). But if you try run a DX10 title, for some reason (due to DX10's updated architecture) it doesn't refer to the same refresh rate management system that DX9 (and earlier DX's) use.

Once the refresh rate is 'locked', you can see that the setting applies to any DX-based title (whether DX9, DX8, DX7, DX6 etc).....but DX10 doesn't follow the same proceedure.

That is why SO many users (whether ATi or nVidia) have been suffering the inability to go above 60Hz when running DX10 titles.

But the interesting thing, though, is that 2K Games (makers of Bioshock) released their v1.1 patch a while ago which addressed and fixed the issue of the game running in DX10 and having the refresh rate "locked" to 60Hz.

.....the thing is, the refresh rate wasn't "locked", it's just that no one has had access to DX10s refresh rate management system.

I have a feeling that 2K Games hooked DX10 to DX9/pre's refresh rate management system and copied the values of the refresh rates and implanted them into DX10 (at least while Bioshock is running).

My idea was; if you can determine where/what the DX10 refresh rate management system/scheme is, you can include that "path" into ATi Tray Tools, so when anyone uses the 'refresh lock' feature, whatever values have been entered will function for DX9/pre AND DX10....so it'll truely be universal.

....that's pretty much what I was getting at. :)

I made another post here:
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?p=1335552727#post1335552727

....just in case... (as well as finding people's response to it).

I hope that explained better....:) If not, i'll help anyway I can.

...let us know what you think. ;)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
  4. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    Hmm. After switching to LCD monitor I forgot about RefreshLock utils :) So I didn't test ATT's refreshLock under DX10 apps/games. I don't want to promise, but I will look into it, when I will have time.

5. r2rX

r2rX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    Thanks for the feedback. :)

I understand that you are very busy, so its understandable. Although, for ALOT of ATi (and CRT) users, we'd be forever in your debt if you could figure this out and get it working.

I've contacted ATi, and am in process of getting some more info.

I tried contacting 2K Games to get some info on what their v1.1 patch for Bioshock did (in regards to fixing the 60Hz lock problem). They weren't too keen on telling me (perhaps they thought i'm trying to steal intellectual property? I don't know).

Anyway, I appreciate the time that you'd take if you looked into this. :)

Thanks a million. ;)

6. r2rX

r2rX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    Well, I contacted ATi and they had nothing directly to say about DX10 related matters...they recommended I speak to MS...

So, I posted on the ATi forum (at game.amd.com) and no one has responded yet.

I also gave 2K Games a call and they didn't have any comments concerning my inquiry. They also said I couldn't talk to any of the programmers who made the patch (cause the programmers don't speak with the public personally). After I was recommended to call Take2 Corporate office, I gave up.

So, Ray....you're our last hope. :)

7. Xellotath

Xellotath New Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    Hey, just thought i'd chime in that this issue is also affecting HDTV users, such as myself. Our problem is that 60hz is the refresh rate we want to get, for 1080p gaming, but when in DX10 mode it goes to 1080i mode, which brings with it severe underscan and a 25hz refresh rate.

I've been trying to find a solution for the last 2 days non stop and i've come to the conclusion that it can't currently be fixed. I've tried all the usual programs from powerstrip to refreshlock to ati tray tools, nothing will make the 60hz stick. I too started a thread on the 2k forums asking for some information on the 1.1 patch, i'll wait and see if i get any reply.

About you CRT users: is 60hz the lowest supported refresh rate you have? Because if it is, it would imply a pattern than DX10 mode is simply choosing the first one on the list - in my case 25hz.

If 2k have implemented a solution (i've tried bioshock and it does indeed work) then that would suggest a glimmer of hope, however as i mentioned to Ray in an email if it's down to the individual developers to implement code to solve this then i am worried because the game i'm most concerned with is Crysis and i cannot see Crytek taking the time to do something like this, given their disdain for pc gamers after the low sales of their game last year.....

8. AXS

AXS Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 4800 UPCC
    Some games are limited to 60 Hz cause that's the best FPS in their case, meaning that's how high their were optimize to show natural moves. Older games like Half-Life (CS 1.6) have a limit of 100 Hz/FPS at which they move more natural, at 60 Hz/FPS it show a small lag in movement.

If RefreshLock v2.21 doesn't work with some games, don't bother with them. Even if it work, if that game is limited to 60 FPS and you'd forced it to 100 Hz (as in 100 FPS), that game would LAG a lot, a real bad experience.

I personally don't recommend forcing the FPS at a constant rate, VSync is good for some games that show tearing effect (usually that shows on LCD), as for the rest I keep it to off. That's the best way to move more naturaly in curent games, even if their heavy on graphics like Crysis - at 35 FPS, that game move smooth with VSync disabled, in CoD 4 - it renders at 90 FPS and show no delay/lag or movement.... yet if I set VSinc to On some show delay/lag.

9. da_unique

da_unique Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770 + GTX670 (SLI)
    any news on the refresh lock in vista64?
    im going insane with this ****ty 60 hz...

10. Jeager

Jeager Member

GPU:
    I use a Flatron 915FT+ in 1280x960@100Hz (ty ReForce) and the VSync ON since 6 years now without any problemes but since a month I can't have more than 60Hz on XP with my 4850. I don't know if it's because I installed another sound card of changed the catalyst driver but one day i switched my resolution to 800x600 in CS and my refresh was ****ed to 60Hz

I'm still ****ed (i love the 60Hz when the option says you are at 100 ....) the only thing who works is Powerstrip where I can force the refreshrate to 100, you should try it, maybe it's will work.

Sorry for my bad english.

PS : I'm still looking for a light software like aTuner to switch FSAA/AF/Vsync in 2 clicks :(

11. Groody

Groody New Member

GPU:
    HD4890
    Hello,

I Up this topic because I have too this problem.

I use ATT under XP Pro 32 bits and I don't have problem.
    I have problem with directx10 games under Vista 64bits.

At this time, this problems are :
    - refresh rate is locked to 60hz (I have a 22" CRT Iiyama, I use it in 1600*1200*100hz for games)
    - It's impossible to have FPS OSD

I have problems with Company of Heroes OF and Crysis. 2 games in DirectX10

I must use "ALT + ENTER" (fullscreen / windowed) to have 100hz.

I tried ATT's feature to lock refreshrate (and DirectX lock, but he remains disabled).

It seems it's a know problem :
    http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&source=hp&q=att+"refresh+rate"&meta=&aq=f&oq=att+"refresh+rate

http://www.google.fr/#hl=fr&safe=of...=crysis+refresh+rate+60hz&fp=33a6e28b9786d811

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33919783

I try Refresklock 2.21, without success.

Config :
    Q6600 + HD4890 1Go + 4 Go + Rampage Formula

12. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    It is impossible right now to override refresh rate for DX 10 games.

Where exactly and what version of ATT did you test?

13. Groody

Groody New Member

GPU:
    HD4890
    Ok for FPS, :'(

Where exactly ?
    The install path ? > F:\Outils\ATI Tray Tools Vista\ATI Tray Tools
    I tested the OSD on top left, or top right.

I use the 1.6.9.1439, and the 1447 now

Thanks for your help

14. Ray Adams

Ray Adams Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6950
    I meant what game, not where :)

There are no problems with FPS right now. OSD will not work in 64bit games and applications only.

15. Groody

Groody New Member

GPU:
    HD4890
    Ok.

UnderVCista 64bits, I only play with Crysis (64bits) and Company of Heroes Opposing Front (32 or 64 bits, I don't know).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009

16. Boardy

Boardy New Member

GPU:
    Powercolor 4850 512MB
    Two things:

- PowerStrip is actually capable of forcing refresh rates above 60Hz even in DX10 games. The corresponding options can be found in "Display Profiles" > Configure under "Advanced Timing Options". But be sure you only adjust your refresh rate (and only within the capabilities of your screen), as wrong settings there and in the other boxes can do severe harm to it.

- considering "Company of Heroes" one can force a custom refresh rate via a command line parameter. Make a shortcut for the game on your desktop and add -refresh XX (with XX for the preferred refresh rate) in the Target-Line.

Mine for example looks like this:

"X:\Program Files (x86)\THQ\Company of Heroes\RelicCOH.exe" -refresh 85

Without spaces in your path, the quotation marks must be dropped:

X:\ProgramFiles\THQ\COH\RelicCOH.exe -refresh 85

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  17. Groody

Groody New Member

GPU:
    HD4890
    Thanks for your help.

I already finish and uninstall CoH :'(

Il will see PowerStrip !

Thanks

18. r2rX

r2rX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 480
    Hey guys.

Powerstrip was a good solutiont to enforcing a refresh rate for Windows globally (regardless if it was any DX (including DX10) or OpenGL).

But after purchasing a 5870, Powerstrip does not work (as the 5870 is not recognized) and the same issue is present with DX11 too. So now, for a 5xxx owner, both DX10 and DX11 are stuck at 60Hz.....and it's so annoying!!!!!!!!

What other solutions are there?

r2rX :)