can anyone recommend a great 5GHz router not netgear nighthawk?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by potatochobit, Feb 10, 2017.

1. potatochobit

potatochobit Active Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    I have a netgear nighthawk and it is a terrible router
    however, I have the older version the R6400 AC1750

the transfer speed is fine, but there seems to be a well known problem where the 5GHz just is not stable.
    I notice this all the time when remote playing PS4, etc.
    you will get a little bit of corruption every 30 minutes, the screen will get blocky and audio corruption noises and the router is literally less than 5 feet from my devices.

anyway, so I would like a different brand if anyone knows something better around 200$.
    or does anyone have experience with the newer tech nighthawk R8000?

keep in mind, i dont need long distance or something with 8 antennas
    I just need a great connection in the same room on 5GHz

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    How did you know the issue was with the router at 5GHz? What variables have you changed in order to determine that this was the problem?

3. potatochobit

GPU:
    R9 290X
    like I said
    this is a well known problem many users have experienced and reported

I am not sure if you have read recent news, but the router has had many firmware updates and many serious security issues

I have reset the router many times and adjusted many settings including static addresses and port forwarding
    using an ethernet cable between the router and a computer, the problem completely goes away.

I have used other routers and the problem does not occur though those are 2.4GHz and have other issues such as latency and I want to avoid using that since my laptops all have 5GHz cards.

and the problem is not interference because I have set the router up on a 50 acre farm.

anyway, I am not here to argue, if you think nighthawk is a good router, that's fine.
    if you think this is user error and have some basis for backing up that claim, sure i will listen to you.

like I said, I have the R6400 which is the first generation nighthawk and you will only notice this issue if you are real time streaming through STEAM link or PS4 remote play.

anyway, I am pretty certain I will get rid of this so I am looking for other brand recommendations.

4. Stephan.nl

Stephan.nl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    I've one of the latest D-Link ones, they're fantastic.

Before that I used to have the D-Link DSL-2890AL (for modem capabilities) and that was great too.

5. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Talk about over sensitive I don't think his intention was to argue anything it's a standard question on a forum to maybe help without having to replace the router.That's just so he can rule out what you tried but hey carry on.

6. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    If this degrading in quality happens every 30 minutes, do you need to reboot the router before it good again or do it resolve itself? Are the 5Ghz channel fixed or is it set to auto?

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
  8. potatochobit

GPU:
    R9 290X
    no, you dont need to reboot anything
    it just drops connection for a few seconds and returns to normal
    it's basically like router "slow down" or throttling, lol

I usually use static channels and I have tried auto
    I dont think this is typical interference though as I have tested it in the city and in the country with no other neighbors nearby.

happens once every 10 minutes to half an hour
    and you can only see it happen live streaming video games
    the screen will get choppy, button lag, and sound will have corruption
    this is all normal for streaming games but the severity on the 5GHz is noticeably worse.

remote play and steam link are not perfect
    but there have been so many firmware updates to the nighthawk
    and I dont remember this happening when I first got the router

and I happen to know about a serious bug where if you update a nighthawk router, but dont factory reset - the new firmware will not be active.

and this past december a serious security flaw where if you click on an internet link, people can access your router just leaves me with no confidence anymore in the netgear brand. and this was not a cheap router.

I thought it might be my laptop AC card since it was not original OEM. But the issue seems to occur on other computers so I am just not sure. Anyway, I gave the router to my sister so I am looking at other options.

I will look at the asus, thanks.

9. Stephan.nl

Stephan.nl Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Have you tried running DD-WRT or other custom firmware?

Might help stabilise your 5Ghz channel.

10. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well, for AC2600, these two are tied:
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/ranking/AC2600/rev9/147

AC1900 is a bit older (no MU-MIMO), but the price should be decent.
    http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/rankers/router/ranking/AC1900/rev9/147

Had a bad time with ASUS AC87, don't recommend it for stability reasons as well. Anything higher seems to not really gain you meaningful features/performance.

Basically if no Netgear
    - Synology RT2600ac
    - ASUS AC1900P (faster CPU version of AC68U)
    - Some sort of mesh Wi-Fi solution if you are just looking for easy-to-setup stuff with better range (though not as fast or feature packed as the two above)

11. Steppzor

Steppzor Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Ventus OC
    Try setting 5Ghz channel to above 100. Even if the tranmission power is sett to 100% every channel above 100 will have 10-20% more transmission power. Might help, might not.

12. potatochobit

GPU:
    R9 290X