can a Bios update do this?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by gunslinger, May 6, 2005.

1. gunslinger

gunslinger Master Guru

GPU:
    1 EVGA GTX titan 6gig SC
    I went from an Asus P4C800E-Delux to an Intel 865Perl. When I updated the bios to the lastest available on Intel's web site the system refused to shut down and would just reboot!

Any way I brought the board back and they exchanged it for me and now the system works great again. Much more stable than the asus, beleive it or not.

Anyway my question is, has any one heard of this before? Being the hardware junkie that I am, it's a real fight not to upgrade this board. And that's no joke, I think this time they'll tell me to cram if if I bring this one back with the same problem. :p

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  2. 00-00-00

00-00-00 Guest

I own INTEL 865PERL, there's something wrong you did , let me explain:

I upgraded to the latest bios just 1 week ago (february 2005 was dated), i used the IFLASH one (MS DOS), made a bootdisk and did the flash, when it starts to make bios update you hear BIPS BIPS, then the system will reboot, when it reboots first time you won't see anything so don't shutdown or touch anything, that i think was your mistake.

Why you ask?

Because the first reboot screen will flash and you won't see anything anyway, after a while it reboots a 2nd time, that's when your system will show the post and you can edit your BIOS again ;)

I refuse to use WINDOWS to flash my bios, it's not safe so if possible, simply use a floppy and do it the OLD way, safe in the knowledge u can't screw it up unless it's a faulty bios.

Another theory is that you downloaded the wrong bios not for your mobo, but i don't think your dumb and do that, perhaps you clicked the wrong link or didn't really pay attention :)

Up to you now, lesson learned and remember this mobo is GREAT!

3. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS x850 XT PE VIVO PCI-Express
    One day the world will be without floppys and you will have to use Windows to update your bios. It works fine for me.

4. 00-00-00

00-00-00 Guest

Or perhaps you might use a RE-WRITABLE CD and update your bios in DOS without need for FLOPPY, besides i am using FAT32 and i could just do it from C:\ , and if that's not enough, you can boot from a USB KEY or ZIP DRIVE in DOS and do it.

It's not the FLOPPY DISK that will stop us :D

5. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, you're right, but Windows is just so much easier.

6. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Oh, and with the next Windows version, there will be no MS-Dos, so you won't be able to boot to dos to update your bios.

7. 00-00-00

00-00-00 Guest

Sorry but that's BULL$hit, you can always boot in DOS anytime you want with a bootable CD or DISK or ZIP, you don't have to flash your bios with COMMAND PROMPT, that's not how it works ;)

Also windows is UNSECURE let me add, besides a bluescreen while updating the bios will be very cool huh ;)

However unless it's a MUST then i'm gonna do it in Windows, otherwise, back to old trusted DOS.

8. gunslinger

gunslinger Master Guru

GPU:
    1 EVGA GTX titan 6gig SC
    I flashed from windows and did not interrupt thr process. The system refused to shut down and would just rebboot after the flash. Just afraid to try again. Also the bios was the right one, most likley if I'd used the worng one the board would have either refused to flash or if it did would not have booted, thanks for all the replays :D

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  9. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

hes right about the dos part SVT

dos is incorporated into every mainboard, ie PCDOS though

msdos needs a bootdisk

and WinFlash programs have no problems what so ever as long as they are done right

most of your bios and firmware updates are within windows now

10. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    no, I'm saying Windows Longhorn (the next Windows release) won't be letting you do that. They will have a prompt but it runs under the Windows environment. They also say that any programs that run under MS-DOS (i.e. old school dos games) won't be able to run. So I was referring to the future, not the present.

11. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

um dude

Windows XP doesn't have dos either

it only has the Windows Command Dos Prompt

you can still boot to dos on both Longhorn and XP using a dos bootdisk, which won't completely disappear

12. SVT Amateur

SVT Amateur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yep, my bad dude, guess I read some bad information. I read some info by Bill Gates and he said that Windows will continue to have MS-DOS compatability, so I stand corrected. My bad.

13. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

no worries

i just wish they would make a full Dos Emulator which can run all your old Dos games right