Calories question:

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by T1tan, Jun 8, 2011.

1. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 24GB GDDR
    I know this might sound absolutely retarded to some of you but I seriously do not understand how this works.

So if I eat anything I want and keep it under a certain caloric amount I will lose weight? I mean if I eat ONLY 3 big macs a day thats only around 1800 calories and you will lose weight like that? So I can eat a bic mac meal for lunch and a salad for dinner and be ok?

2. stone-eye

stone-eye Guest

GPU:
    IntelĀ® HD Graphics
    In theory yes in actual fact most probably not. You'll feel very hungry probably not too good and just watch something like supersize me to see how bad mcdonalds are (yeah they are nice once in a while).

The key is balanced diet not just random reduction in calories or odd diets, get into a routine of eating healthily, only have the right kind of foods around to snack on and be sensible.

3. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 24GB GDDR
    Say I eat 2000 calories of ground beef and 2000 calories of oats. I understand the oats are healthier but if I'm correct there will be no weight gain or loss?

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Oh I dunno, you will be crapping like there's no tomorrow :wanker:

5. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Nothing retarded about that question.

If you alter the composition of your diet in terms of which of the three macronutrients constitutes the highest proportion of your total calories (fat, protein, carbs) then your weight will change even if your calories stay the same, because these macros bind differing amounts of fluid. If you suddenly go from 100% fat to 100% carbs (you will not; I'm just using this extreme example to get the point across) with a break-even energy consumption, you will gain a few kilos during the week, in fluids!

However, you will not gain or lose any fat. 2000 kcal before = 2000 kcal after. Well, theoretically, that is... when you change your macro proportions, you also need to factor in that different macros accelerate your metabolism more than others. And that factors in to how much you expend. So it's a bit more complicated than just the 'ol 2000 = 2000 rule, but in practice, it makes no huge difference, unless you are a professional athlete.

Having said that, if you eat super-unhealthy (like 3 Big Macs) then your body will go on defense-mode since it's not getting enough of certain nutrients, and that will certainly have adverse effects on both your general well-being and your weight. So don't do it, would be my advice.

Golden rule: everything in moderation. ;)

6. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    I lost weight (5 Kilos since mid April) - i used on of those nutrition systems or clocks or whatever its called in english:

http://www.netzathleten.de/data2/su...photo_4833896879138463955_1229305986/orig.jpg

Basically it depends what you eat and when during the day.

What helped me:
    - no more noodles, bread or potatoes in the evening.
    - no extra sugar whatsoever the whole day long. (esp coffee at the workplace)
    - drink water & coffee only (no juices or limo / coke)
    - do some walking in the evening
    - do some sports 2 times a week (30 minutes)

7. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O
    As well, your personal calorie needs will be yours alone. You need to see a doc first, to determine your BMI and fat level and then decide upon a cal count. 2000 is only a guide, you likely need much less, like 1200-1500, for daily use. Caloric needs rise quickly with physical exertion.

8. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    estimate lean body mass

calculate your daily calorie requirement

stay ~400-500 below that if you're looking to lose fat

protip- to retain muscle you need to, at the very least, consume your lean body weight in pounds worth of protein. so, for example, if my lean body mass is like 130 pounds then i need to consume atleast 130g of protein. else you will indeed "lose weight" (aka both muscle and fat)

9. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    I ate less and did lose 70 lbs in 3 years.

10. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I ate less and lost 50+lbs in the last year and a half.

11. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    You will actually get a malnutrition gut. You need to balance out what you're eating.

Keep in mind that you're always burning calories. A 2000 calorie diet isn't very accurate, especially since everyone metabolizes food differently. You burn something around 1000 calories just sitting around and since Mcdonalds has no nutrition your body will simply not be able to maintain.

Your body starts to take nutrients from fat reserves and muscle leaving what it doesn't use as fat deposits (hence malnutrition gut). So your goal shouldn't be to lose weight right away, but to change the food you're eating first. Keep an eye on the calories, but don't swear by them. Once you have a healthy diet losing weight is very easy because you have much more energy and it becomes much more safe to do so.

12. Xbrain

Xbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6950
    Hi there !

There are lots of people still asking that question about calories and it's great that you try to get a clear answer.

One nutritionist wanted proof that calory input is the sole factor of gaining or loosing weight. So what he did is to eat only peanuts, pizza, burgers BUT at a fixed calory target (don't remember exactly, might be 1500 Kcal). Warning here, he was very aware that such diet is very poor on vitamins and took apropriate mediaction to compensate. I wouldn't recommend that for everybody. The result was that he managed to loose weight (like 10 Kg if I remember well).

So that answers your question in a sense. But there are lots of things that need attention:
    - 'when' do you eat stuff : If you eat pasta, rice, potatoes before sleeping they will be transformed in fat.
    - 'what' you eat : every people is different and react differently to food. It was proven that bloodtype is very important about food as each bloodtype appeared when men changed diet. example : the original bloodtype is O and optimised for animal protein.

Hope it helps,
    Xbrain.

13. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    You should see your doctor who will put you in contact with a dietitian not ask on a forum.

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    You really have to find what works for you. Generally eating "healthier" and eating the same amount or LESS food. Personally, when I cut out eating boxed crap cereal in the morning and replaced it with good whole grain oatmeal I lost 10 pounds. 10! Oatmeal is MUCH more filling. So, if you're asking since you actually want to lose weight... eat healthier and stop when you are actually full or just before you are. AND DONT SNACK.

15. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 24GB GDDR
    There we go :) thanks for exactly what I asked for!

16. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    IANAMD;

you'll need a vitamin supplement. Your body will synthesize a lot of what you need, but you'll be constantly exhausted.

Also these synthesis processes have side effects if eating only one or the other such as ketoacidosis in the case of pure fats. Health food nuts often talk about 'toxins' and they're usually full of ****, but in the case of restricted diets it's true. For example I have an occasional gout attack and that's caused by uric acid buildup which occurs if I drink lots of beer or eat too much of some kinds of meat.