Calling for Help... please! (Radeon 6630m drivers issue)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by jackazz, Dec 14, 2014.

1. jackazz

jackazz New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD 3000 Radeon 6630
    Hello everybody,
    I'm calling for your help as I've not been able to solve the following issue and install any driver newer than amd Catalyst 14.4 on my Sony Vaio laptop, equipped with switchable graphics and AMD Radeon 6630m.

I tried leshcat 14.9, mahmoudelfar SG FIX drivers and official 14.12 omega drivers but had no luck. If I install those only my INTEL HD 3000 card gets detected and if I try to access CCC, there are no options ragarding switchable graphics, dynamic mode etc. When I try to run games (such as Alien Isolation), it says: no directx 11 card detected, fatal error.

I made researches these days and tried many times to solve this. I learned about AMD decision to exclude fixed switchable mode and enable only dynamic mode. Then, I can't understand why the new omega drivers are not working? Is my pc capable of enabling dynamic mode? Why my radeon 6630m is not recognized anymore after driver update? Does this mean i will not be able to install any new future AMD driver update on my config?

I tried to look inside BIOS options but there are no options regarding fixed and dynamic mode. Latest games run bad, making my laptop almost unusable.

I thank you in advance for you help

Specs: VAIO VPCSB1C5e
    Intel i5 2520
    Intel HD 3000 + Radeon 6630m
    6Gb RAM

2. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    If the driver is installed and shows all settings besides the switchable tabs then use the tabs fix on leshcatlabs.

And yes not having fixed mode sucks.

However the driver automatically sets you to dynamic mode independent from the BIOS.

There are issues with this as this solution is totally broken for devices that have Intel HD first gen graphics on windows 8.1 and 10 the result being a storm of bootloops.

3. jackazz

jackazz New Member

GPU:
    Intel HD 3000 Radeon 6630
    Thank you FunkyMike. The main issue is that after I've installed the driver, no settings appear in CCC (only generic desktop settings). I've already tried using the tabs fix, but nothing happens.

Followed all the instructions, multiple times. I really don't know what am I doing wrong...

4. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000

5. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I remember when trying to update my roommates VPCSA, you have to first install stock Intel drivers on Stamina mode, then swap to Speed mode to install the AMD drivers. You might have to try different combinations to see whether it installs properly or not. I don't have the system near me to test the newer drivers so I'm not sure if this works with newer ones.

I remember one issue with this approach was that DXVA (WMP won't play videos) was broken, however MPC works so we didn't think it was an issue.

6. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Snip3r_3

The 14.4 driver will work on the Sony.

The media player you mentioned is fixed via the UnifL package tools. (Green screen media player)

7. atoneapone

atoneapone Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 6650M +6520g/ 1GB
    If you made a restore point before uninstalling drivers & installing newer drivers, you might be able to restore to the earlier point and you would at least be back to where you started when it last worked ok for you.

Also did you uninstall old AMD install manager first & then go into safe mode to use DDU (though not sure if DDU will work properly for Intel+AMD systems). You could also try device manager and roll back display drivers and try installing latest Intel HD drivers first and then a newer AMD driver.

8. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    It seriously sounds to be like all the code stripping past the 14.4 driver made the 6630m incompatible.

I would try 14.4 explicitly since that is the last version that is still based on the "stable" code base.