1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calling all Eyeglass wearers

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by tsunami231, Aug 21, 2019.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    So how many of you are 24/7 eyeglass wearers? and how many of you extremely picky about how you see?

For better part of 20+ years I been wearing glass frames that have the exact same shape (ovalish) and curvature. Every time I tried to change frames to different shape which usual have different lens curvature which so far has been 10+ times and 7 different places so far. I have had the same exact problem I dont see evenly (clearly) threw all area's of the lens when wearing them, Like I do with my current frames ( 10yr old frames which where special ordered threw a book, to match my prior frames which were always Polycarbonate, Anti Reflective, Transitions and always correct on first shot, he is retired so this place is gone now)

I been told it could because of different types of Polycarbonate I been told it could be lens shape I been told it could be lens curvature. Every time I ever got frames exactly like ones I got I never had problem seeing threw the lens every time I had just the lens change no problem. Find frame exactly like one I got seem to be impossible.

Current place I at is tell the lens I got from "optical academy" 2 years ago which was supposed to be "Polycarbonate", Crizal, Transitions is not Polycarbonate, and is actual CR39 , which I actual see correctly out no mater where I look on the lens when wearing them. It the opion of this person it the curvature that is problem and less likely the material. So now this place is trying to match curvature of lens and material to what I have in my current glasses, with glasses i bought and if the dont work i just gona have the guy replace lens in my current glasses matching material and everything else. and if that dont work i gona ask for refund, despite current place being really polite and helpful and willing to try figure this all, only other place i been that was like is the place no longer there cause he retired both these places are mom/pop/individual stores, all the other place where just like eh and didnt care.

No one or place so far as been able to give me definitive answer on this cause, and get the lense correct first try other then optical academy ( but I had them put lens in to my frames and despite them leaving massive marks on the lens visible on angle when cutting them I see right out them correct, I just dont want to go back to cause of the marks seeing the charged $300 for just lens and the left marks on them each and every time they cut then 3 different sets).

So i have no clue if it frames shape or the frames lens curvature or Polycarbonate, or some combination of. If I dont have Polycarbonate in the current lens and they are CR39,Crizal, Transitions I would think its the shape and or curvature. -2.50 n -2.50 is my prescription which is always correct my problem has been blurring when not looking out center which i dont have with current lens and frames. This reason why I always went back the one guy who would special order frames and get the len correct the first time now he gone and now i screwed cause I cant find place that get it correct other then that one place which I REALLY dont want to go back too cause they left marks on the lens when cutting them 3 times with 3 different sets of lens.

What kind stories do other have? what kinda hoops did you you have to go threw to get thing correct. Thoughts comments? , special seeing these current set where 580$ even though they gave it to me for $400. I been really thinking of just get lasik but that gona cost atlest 1300 per eye, and apparently I my vision need to be same for 2 years? and place I got my eye checked told me they were -3.00 n -2.75 which I think was wrong but I didnt gave eye check again, I just had them give me the -2.50 n -2.50 to rule out that as problem which didnt mater

2. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I keep readers in my front pocket all the time now.....sux being old...

[​IMG]

3. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080ti
    I dont wear glasses all the time, but I flip flop between them and contact where I wear my glasses on work days and contacts the rest. I have an oval shape with the boxy corners and I like them except I feel like everything looks smaller with my glasses on. Playing games with my contacts looks like I got a free upgrade to my monitor because it just looks bigger. Same with my phone. All glasses have that effect with me, drives me crazy but I am used to it now.

4. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    I'll be 66 tomorrow and have only needed glasses to drive (long distance) very mild prescription and just in the last couple of months I might need some for reading. I have never had glasses that I've been happy with and just settled for good enough mostly just to satisfy a restriction on my license and take them off as soon as I get out of the car. Good luck on your search.

airbud7 likes this.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Love it matches your avatar

I tried contacts once, and I know what you talking how things look smaller with glasses on vs contacts my 24" monitor look huge with contacts. sadly i cant wear contact even after trying for 6+ month I could never adjust to contact and tried bunch diffrent brands and types, within 3 hours I want to rip my eyes out cause of contacts.

As for the glasses issue I have I think I one those people that cant adjust to frames of different lens shape and or curvature I have glasses of the same shape and curvature of over 20 years still have frames I had prior to current ones which are identical shape and curvature. which royal pain in the ass seeing i cant find frame like this, I want new frames cause ones i have now are using the wrong screw in the leg as such the leg lose and move up and down way to much unlike the other leg. cause the leg popped off when the glasses fell once. I had the original screw for when I brought it to glasses place to fix but they refused to use the screw. maybe I still have it in my desk someplace and I can find place will will replace the screw in with one that came out. the screw on these glasses are always getting lose so i tighten them from time to time, but I dont have tool to put spring loading leg screw back in.

I should of bought bunch of spare frames from the guy I use to go to, if I knew he was gonna retired before he retired I would went back to ask to him order bunch spares frames of what I have.

airbud7 likes this.
  6. HellSpawn2097

HellSpawn2097 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX1070 8G
    I'm 38 right now, been wearing glasses from the age of 12.
    It's a routine, put them on in the morning, can't take them of untill bedtime.
    I have -2,5 left and -3 on the right. I am pretty much helpless without them.
    Never tried lenses btw, it's something just not for me.

Dragam1337 and airbud7 like this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Well, that's a thread.
    Discovered that I needed glasses around 2010, because I ended up soldering a bit off the soldering joints.
    Since then, I need glasses but in general I can get by trough almost all activities without being held back.
    The only times I really, really need my eye wear is when I am driving or doing precise detailed work - SMD soldering, delicate repairs, the works.
    Never tried contacts, maybe I will somewhere in the future. Sometimes, wearing glasses during hot summer days is a PITA, I end up with some kind of a rash or heavy marks on my nose. Doesn't matter what materials, it's just my skin suffering.
    That reminds me to do my annual checkup on my eyewear prescription.

8. Mpampis

Mpampis Active Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    I've been wearing glasses for 31years now. I'm pretty much useless without them. I use contact lenses, but can't have them on for more than 7-8 hours.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW
    I was 52-20, now I am 20-16 and can see what they are serving in first class, from the ground.

Laser ftw.

10. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Weird thing damaged eyesight. I wasn't able to solder a SMD capacitor without glasses, but was perfectly able to read a snippet of text from a paper someone waived at me, about 2 meters and half in front of me :T Roman 12 no bold no italic and reproduced the exact paragraph.
    The gal was shaken...and scared.
    People's reactions are sometimes weird.

airbud7 likes this.

11. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    I used to wear contacts if that counts? However, I have had laser surgery and holy cow. Worth it 100%. Honestly.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. metagamer

metagamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit GameRock 2080
    I've only started wearing glasses about a couple of weeks ago, for the first time in my life (I'm 41). I am very slightly short sighted (-0.25 on both eyes). Driving, especially at night, it's a lot easier to read the road signs. Now, not that I need to, because I either know where I'm going or I use sat nav, but I use them at work and while driving.

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Lucky i only need to wear my glasses for long distance but my reading close vision if great.

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Can't read a standard sized font book more than about half an arm's length by now, need them near constantly. Able to walk around without them on but I'm not going to recognise someone in the distance

Got contact lenses for when they're needed in situations but they're expensive and I can't wear them for too long

15. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080TI 11gb
    Actually I am going to pirate this thread. Why do you guys not get laser? or Laysic however it is spelled? Morrals? Financials? Not sure of how it will be down the road? tell me.

16. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 3GB
    I have only had glasses since april this year.

I was getting tension headaches mostly above my right eye so went to the optitions and ended up finding out im long sighted

I was having real trouble seeing things up close, when i recieved the glasses i was overwhelmed with detail i never saw before especially bright colours

Dragam1337 likes this.
  17. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Well, I'll look into it.

18. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX970
    I'm 66 too much money for the benefit as I really only need them for driving.

19. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    Costs ~£2500-3000 and has a small risk of permanently ruining my eyesight in some form (permanent dry eye, halos), may also revert. And my prescription isn't stable, been getting worse the last 10 years.

20. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    worn contacts for years, considered laser but too worried about it going wrong, wear 60's ronnie kray style glasses when not wearing contacts.