Calling all experts in electronics (5870)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Ricaspecada, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Ricaspecada

Ricaspecada Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    [​IMG]

Here's the deal, when i put 2 ramsinks (with very low force) in those 2 components highlighted in red i hear a little snap and it became very loose (the plastic part, not the metal of the sides). Do i damage somehow the card? Need help please...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  2. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    sounds like it , does it still work ?

3. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    im not expert but maybe you just "broke" the protection-cover over the circuits. idk if that can become bad in a future (oxyde... etc...), but for now if it works...

if it doesnt work, you prolly ****ed up some circuit :/.

PD: Excuse my crappy english.

4. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Need more information. Preferably pictures of your stuff, if you have a camera. :)

5. Ricaspecada

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Yes, it still works apparently... In the future i don't know... :\

Yap, i think that it broke only the protection cover because the ramskinks are hot, and if it's hot, the circuit is fine?? :\

6. Ricaspecada

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Pictures doesn't help because it's fine in the outside. ;) Only difference is that those 2 components wobbles (not the metal in the sides).

7. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT

If they are hot it could be, you broke the circuit "after the components", but not the circuit before (idk how to say this on english [before---component----after], again) so they are still receiving energy, but their information gets lost past them (idk if thats possible if the circuit its broken because theorically thats a closed circuit...).

best way would be test the card, anyways dont try move or push the components testing if they are broken or not, altho better wait for another opinion xP.

Off to sleep.

8. inklimited

inklimited Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6850 900MHz
    Whoa! Don't turn that on!

If they are wobbling you have broken the solder!

Umm... are you any good at soldering, keeping in mind you dont have any excess and you wont be able to use a heatshield to protect the component during the soldering process...

9. Ricaspecada

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Yes i'm good at soldering. How do I solder if i can't see where is broken?

10. Ricaspecada

GPU:
    ATI 5870

11. Death_Lord

Death_Lord Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 GTX 8GB
    Im trying to wonder how you managed to break that? they are under the heatsink, not even the ramsticks can reach that place. ???

12. Ricaspecada

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    I have it watercooled with ramskinks in memory and mosfets. I put the ramsinks very gently and those two parts detached easily...

13. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    I assume u looked under the card? If u broke the soder it would be on the other side.

14. mkchiu

mkchiu Member

GPU:
    Non-cased or poorly-encased inductors would crack under unfortunately angled force. Considering the positioning on the top-side photo and a cracking sound, those two components are probably inductors for filtering the GPU power controller's output. If so, and depending on how badly they were damaged, you can expect fire, no operation, or intermittent behavior.

15. Ricaspecada

GPU:
    ATI 5870
    Well, the card is working fine (1100MHz core). The sound seemed the sound of glue breaking not solder... Maybe I break the glue of the casing??

16. mkchiu

mkchiu Member

GPU:
    The photo is poorly angled (not angled, not close-up), so insufficient to confirm what those components are.

A cracked core (of an inductor) alters storable flux. The card may appear to work, but I don't know what effect changes in the magnetic flux would have in this application.

17. Lie495s14

Lie495s14 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX260 / Dell.2209wa
    no to make fun or anything, but this is what i been hearing all day on notebookreview forum for the past few days. "put it in oven". lot of people fixed their fried laptop mobo and video chips by doing that.