call to intel users!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by gram_vaz, Jul 9, 2005.

1. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT 350/1100
    has anyone that used an intel cpu ever had hardware problems? something i've noticed about all these stuttering and crashing problems is they are on amd systems only...

2. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    On p4s? All the friggin time. More frequently than my computer, but then teh p4s I tend to work with are lowend crap (office machines).

3. Envoy

Envoy Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1070 GTX FTW
    Mine is OK. Just bought a 3.4 P4 that i'll be fitting shortly

4. Paradigm

Paradigm Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
    well of course there are more problems on AMD's...it is because

we have a habit to modulate the processor whenever we can...incl. FSB's, HT's, mem timings etc... voltages just about every aspect ....with intels and their chipsets there is hardly any flexibility for the proc (ever try an intel orig. mobo)...AMD on the other hand never manufacters it's own mobo's thus allowing a competition amongst Co. to make the best chip they can...of course there might be prob....but man...the innovation that AMD users have seen..it is Eons ahead of intel users... not to mention the fact....
    AMD allowed it's one type of socket A's to run from a AMD 760 chip set all the way upto the NF2 Ultra 400's, whereas intel designed 2/3 different processors with different pin counts along the same era...atleast aMD users never had to change mobo and proc. to upgrade....

so if there is such a diverse capability of a single proc. u'r bound to run into some prob. ...look at intel ...they made a mistake with RDRAM's then not making commercially available 64bit proc. when AMD did, then a potn. DDR2 debacle is also expected

also intel tries to make sure software would be more compat. for it's proc.. "designed for HT..etc .etc. etc.,, (look at the antitrust filed by AMD against intel)

5. outlaw88

outlaw88 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I loved my old P4 system...until AMD took over gaming but anyway, I never had any problems with my P4 system. It was a total nightmare when I switched to my AMD system, formatting every couple of days trying to figure out what was wrong. Then finally I figured out it was the RAM and everything works fantastic now, haven't had to reformat once. But yeah my experience with Intel has been more enjoyably than with AMD. My friends mostly have AMD's and they'd always come to me to fix it and it was always chaos to try and get them back up and running again. I'm not too sure if i'll go back to Intel though, I know my next system will be dual core so i'll hafta see who will eventually get the gaming lead with dual cores. It's looking like AMD

Last edited: Jul 9, 2005
  6. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    After having some weird problems with computers having AMD CPUs, I built my last (I hope) computer with Intel 3.2 MHZ Pentium 4 CPU with HT, Intel D875PBZ motherboard, GeForce 6800 card, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 card, four 512MB memory modules made by Crucial, Western Digital HDDs, Antec tower case, and Antec PSU. Except for time/date problem that was fixed by latest BIOS, I didn't have any weird problems. I used brand name computer parts made by known companies. I didn't use generic computer parts made by unknown companies. 3D driving/racing games usually don't have screen jerkiness problems.

7. omarmakki

omarmakki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D GeForce 6800 (12x1,6vp)
    I have been having stutters last week. But it is running well now...

8. desdick

desdick Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia Geforce 6800 PCIe 256mb
    Nope, nothing wrong. Just fromat at least once every 4 months.

9. SorienOR

SorienOR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT + Acer 1080p
    What studdering and crashing problems?

My P4 system is the only one in the house that gives me headaches. I am constantly getting crashes in explorer even after a full format ~~ I just deal with it and chock it up to crappy hardware (and besides, it was free).

All my amd systems run everything pretty much flawlessly. Except when my nephews come over and visit Hentai sites with IE on system #3 ~~

10. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT 350/1100
    there's this big stuttering problem that has mostly hit nvidia users. there's an entire thread about it at nvnews. seems to mostly effect on amd systems. most especially on the nforce3 platform. http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759

honestly just do a search on any forum for stuttering(or studdering as many misspell it that way ;)) and check the system specs. about 95% is amd.

and it seems that when intel users have some problem it's something simple like not having installed a driver. things that take like a minute to fix meanwhile when there is a problem on a amd system much time is spent troubleshooting, swapping many different drivers, trying every tweak and system configuration, and of course, reformats...

i also seem to remember an intel technician making a snotty comment to the effect of how people accept amd on face value because the hardware is so cheap. i wonder what technicians that understand the hardware and actually have degrees in what they are talking about would have to say about both sides...

i guess this just comes down to most posts i ever see about problems on any pc enthusiast forum i go to being from people using amd computer. could also just be because most enthusiasts prefer amd and they are more likely to do tweaking and take things away from stock which all can lead to problems regardless of hardware.

11. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT 350/1100
    hmm, something i've just considered is it could be the nforce chips or the nforce drivers...

12. Nrex

Nrex Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce FX 5700LE @ 5700 U OC'd
    what is simplymepis 3.3 :-0

13. T8000

T8000 Master Guru

GPU:
    GF6800 LE 128 MB 12p_softmod, fanless (24dB_total)
    Reliability

CPU chips don't usually fail, however, I did see some AMD chips that needed to be underclocked to be able to boot into Windows, meaning that they where factory overclocked too far.

Also, a few people managed to fry or crush Athlon XP CPU's, because the lack of onchip thermal monitoring and a heatspreader, while the HSF mounting system of the Athlon XP required a little luck to work without damage.

But for reliability, the mainboard chipset is the most important part. Intels own chipsets have a stronger track record than anything else in this field.

In fact, if something was wrong with an Intel chipset system, I could always solve it by replacing the PSU, the RAM, the GPU card or the HDD, in the rare cases that it actually was a hardware problem.

For other systems, replacing the mainboard with an Intel chipset based one solved a lot of problems.

Also, this may not be the best place to inform about Intel information, because a lot of CPU reviews focussed on gaming with low visual settings favored AMD. Thus lowering the ammount of Intel users on this site, because most people play with high visual settings and most Intel CPU's perform about equal to AMD's best when high visual settings are selected.

14. gram_vaz

gram_vaz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GT 350/1100
    it's a very good linux distro. if your interested in linux i recommend this distro. you can run it entirely off the cd if you want or install it on your hd. http://www.mepis.org/