Call of Duty Black Ops 3 - 100% CPU Usage on i5 & stuttering/lag

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by slayer213, Dec 20, 2016.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Which method of capping the FPS do you use? NVProfileInspector or RTSS?

Have you tried Fast sync without FPS limiter?

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    when i played free wekeend the only high cpu usage I saw by by loading screens, ingame it was 40-70% at best, but the game uses high system ram - 16gb is ideal (saw it use up to 11gb) and uses all vram. well all cods do since cod ghosts.

that said your 12gb ram could be the problem too for inconsistent fps and more threads. i7 would be ideal.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  3. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Na something's going on, I don't think it's your cpu that's the problem, more inclined to believe it's the game itself and perhaps something else in tandem - rogue software/malware? Monitoring tools (some games don't play nice with monitoring tools like afterburner, try disabling it)? Windows Update? (Yes, Win7 can throw a **** at you with it's dumb update system).

It could also be something like a caching or HDD/SSD/Controller issue. I've had an instance when a HDD was dying, before the pc realised that there were delayed read/write errors, when something was being loaded, it would stall the system causing everything to be slow and spiking the cpu usage with it.

Honestly though, CoD games aren't the best in terms of benchmarking - we've seen tests performed by Hilbert himself where multiple benchmark runs don't bring consistent results, varying one result from the next. So it could be this, paired with an underlying issue on your system somewhere compounding the issue.

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Already told you.

This game is heavily limited by CPU and memory performance.

You are not getting around that.

There are no magical tweaks other than lowering settings.

The only solution is to get an overclockable i5 + high speed ram.

I'll tell you something interesting on my own system.

I did a bios update and forgot to change ram back to OC speeds (3200 @ CL12)

I lost huge performance.

With default ram 2133 @ CL16 timings > 3200 CL12 i gained 50 fps on Gorod krovi zombies map.
    102~ > ~150 fps.
    Granted I am on a much faster SLI setup but the other system i made i5 + 780ti saw huge boosts from 4.7ghz OC+ memory @ 2400mhz.

So again, you are not going to find any magical tweaks. This game is very much limited by CPU/memory performance.

Also one thing to note, FPS seems more stable at 5k res(Where fps hovers around 80-100 vs where fps cap is at 141.)
    Try doing that.

If you are getting 99% usage on CPU and GPU usage is not 99%, then yes it is a bottleneck.

RAM OC can help in some cases here but solution is OC CPU or get a faster CPU. i7s are much better here.

Campaign benchmarks have no bearing on multiplayer/zombies. Totally different.
    4670k gets beat by a 2600k
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016

5. slayer213

slayer213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 8 GB
    I am just using the in game fps cap which is set to 143 FPS (1 less than my 144 Hz cap). I did try capping it at 80 fps but that made no difference. I still experience fps drops.

6. slayer213

slayer213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 8 GB
    It is a brand new HDD though a normal SATA and not a SSD but like I said, I am only facing this issue with COD3.
    Regarding background apps, I do have MalwareBytes Anti Malware & utorrent running - I will try running the game without them on & report back.

7. slayer213

slayer213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 8 GB

I don't have a k edition cpu and not sure if my board supports overclocking. The CPU & board are 3 years old and I am not sure if its a good idea to overclock it now & fry it if I mess it up.
    I can't run on 5k res as my monitor only supports 1920x1080 max.

I guess i ll just complete the SP campaign as I am already half way through and probably play the Zombies campaign & be done with it. Its just that my experience has actually been good with COD games for single player campaigns in the past. Lowering the extra eye candy settings (AA/Ultra/AO) have helped & given a smooth experience. This is the first time I am facing these problems on a COD game and changing settings doesn't seem to be helping at all. The last COD which came before this one - Advanced Warfare, i think - ran great after I lowered a few settings and was able to play it smoothly on my old GTX770! That is why I have been deeply disappointed playing on a GTX1070 and still not getting a stable framerate because I seem to be CPU bottlenecked :-/

8. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I'm playing this game on an i5 2500k with a 1 gb 560Ti granted with the settings turned down.But I usually get between 45-60 fps on multi player and cpu is not maxed out at all. The 560Ti cause my 7870 was having problems and need to wait until after the holidays to replace it.

9. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    W7U 64bit. I have this game maxed-out except motion blur off running at 1920x1200.

It runs at 90-150~ (up to 220fps right at the end of a match screen) all the time in-game. On the first screen with the character sitting I get 178-180fps.

On the finding mp match screen i get 160-177fps. The fps here goes up and down. Not consistent.

However, this game randomly gets stuttery after a few mp matches and that's despite the fps remaining high (and then the next match after a stuttery match might be perfectly smooth again, totally random). Certain weapons I've found also makes the game stutter when setting in-game fps high (e.g. 240) like the XM-53 and PS-06. Looks like animations for these guns doesn't sync properly with game so causes stuttering.

Another weird thing for this game is it uses loads of memory. I've had to set my page-file to custom size, initial: 4096 max: 6144 to stop running out of resources after quitting the game and trying to change my desktop settings due to this.

Everytime I install a new driver I also delete the config.ini in the /players folder, then, reset defaults in-game before putting settings back.

Another thing, I've found problems when using these antivirus programs;

AVG (paid version, need to add exception for BO3, but, even then it eventually messed my system up and I had to reformat)
    AVAST (partial subscription)
    BITDEFENDER (paid version, couldn't get bo3 to work at all even with exceptions)
    Spybot Search & Destroy (paid version (audio cut-outs), free seems ok)

To stop getting black-screen and BO3.exe crashing problems I've had to uninstall all of them (after buying and trying each one by one). The only one that doesn't seem to cause problems is Malwarebytes (trial atm).